Parish of Andreas, Isle of Man
|OS grid reference|
|Crown dependency||Isle of Man|
|Post town||ISLE OF MAN|
|House of Keys||Ayre & Michael|
It is located in the north of the island (part of the traditional North Side division) in the sheading of Ayre.
The parish is low-lying. The most significant inland water feature is the Lhen Trench, which runs for about 7 km north-south, in parallel with the boundary with Jurby. To the north the Scottish Southern Uplands and the Mull of Galloway can sometimes clearly be seen. The total area is about 15 square miles (39 km2).
The village of Andreas or Kirk Andreas is the only significant settlement in the parish. The nearest town, Ramsey, is 4 miles or 6 km away.
The Isle of Man census of 2016 returned a parish population of 1,397, a decrease of 2.1% from the figure of 1,426 in 2011.
Near the middle of the parish is the former RAF Andreas airfield. It is home to a small number of privately owned light aircraft and also used by a gliding club.
- Manxnotebook Andreas Detail about Manx parishes and description of the parish.
- Manxnotebook - Andreas with full description of the parish and photographs
- Manxnotebook Kirk Andreas Antiquities
- Isle of Man Building Control Districts showing parish boundaries
- Glenology - Manx Glens An ongoing study of Manx glens, their locations and meanings.
|This Manx location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|