|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
1 July 2004
|Born||9 April 1973|
Rottweil, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
|Political party||Christian Democratic Union|
European People's Party
Andreas Schwab (born 9 April 1973) is a German politician and member of the European Parliament for Germany. He is a member of the Christian Democratic Union, part of the European People's Party. Since 2009, he has been Of Counsel with CMS Hasche Sigle.
Member of the European Parliament, 2004–present
Schwab serves on the Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO), where he deals with network and information security. He is the European People's Party Group’s coordinator on the committee.
From 2010 to 2011, Schwab drafted the European Parliament's report on the EU Consumer Rights Directive. As shadow rapporteur, he has issued opinions on the negotiations for the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (2015) and on the Annual Report on EU Competition Policy (2015). In 2014, he co-sponsored (with Ramon Tremosa) a non-binding bill before the European Parliament calling on the European Commission to consider separating Google’s search-engine business from its other commercial activities to ensure fair competition on the internet. He also led the European Parliament's negotiating team on internet platform regulation in Europe. He later served as rapporteur on the ECN+ Directive that entered in law early 2019, handing national competition authorities more enforcement powers to ensure the functioning of the EU's single market. In 2021, he became the parliament's rapporteur on the Digital Markets Act.
In addition, Schwab serves as a member of the European Parliament's Sky and Space Intergroup (SSI) and the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries.
- University of Freiburg, Member of the Advisory Board
- Franco-German Institute (DFI), Member of the Board
- Nachsorgeklinik Tannheim, Member of the Board of Trustees
- European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), Member
- Kangaroo Group, Member
- Transatlantic Policy Network (TPN), Member
- European Internet Foundation, Member
- European Logistics Platform, Member of the Advisory Board
In 1998, Schwab was elected for the "Young European of the Year" due to his commitment to Franco-German relations and received a scholarship from the Heinz Schwarzkopf Foundation.
In addition, in 2018 he received the Federal Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- "Your MEPs : Andreas SCHWAB". Europa. Retrieved 29 August 2010.
- Dr. Andreas Schwab CMS Hasche Sigle, Berlin.
- Toby Vogel (September 11, 2014), Committees choose rapporteurs European Voice.
- Ian Wishart (March 24, 2011), MEPs support tougher consumer protection laws European Voice.
- Foo Yun Chee (November 24, 2014), EU lawmakers to vote on Google break-up motion on Thursday Reuters.
- Nicholas Hirst (November 27, 2014), MEPs back motion suggesting break-up of Google European Voice.
- Nicholas Hirst (May 21, 2015), US tech firms targeted in cybersecurity talks Politico Europe.
- Ryan Heath (April 11, 2019), The 40 MEPs who mattered in 2014-2019. Who were the key players in Brussels and Strasbourg?#34: Andreas Schwab Politico Europe, November 24, 2018.
- Javier Espinoza and James Politi (June 15, 2021), US warns EU against anti-American tech policy Financial Times.
- Foo Run Chee (7 October 2021), EU lawmakers mull changes that could bring European companies under EU tech rules Reuters.
- Members of the European Parliament's Sky and Space Intergroup (SSI) European Parliament.
- Member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries European Parliament.
- Advisory Board University of Freiburg.
- Advisory Board European Logistics Platform.
- Andreas Schwab (November 24, 2021), Lebenslauf [Lebenslauf Andreas Schwab].
- Bundespraesident (November 24, 2021), Bekanntgabe der Verleihungen vom 1. November 2018 [Federal Cross of Merit].