Andreas Winter (born 14 June 1971, Mühldorf, Germany) is a German mathematician and mathematical physicist at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) in Spain. He received his Ph.D. in 1999 under Rudolf Ahlswede and Friedrich Götze at the Universität Bielefeld in Germany before moving to the University of Bristol and then to the Centre for Quantum Technologies (CQT) at the National University of Singapore. In 2013 he was appointed ICREA Research Professor at UAB.
Winter's research is focused in the field of quantum information theory. Some of his main contributions concern the understanding of quantum communication protocols, the coding theory for quantum channels, and the theory of quantum entanglement. Together with Michał Horodecki and Jonathan Oppenheim, he discovered quantum state-merging and used this primitive to show that quantum information could be negative. Together with Marcin Pawlowski, Tomasz Paterek, Dagomir Kaszlikowski, and Valerio Scarani, he discovered information causality. Together with Runyao Duan and Simone Severini, he introduced a quantum mechanical version of the Lovász number. Together with Sandu Popescu, Noah Linden and Tony Short he proved that local equilibration of large quantum systems is a generic phenomena.
- Michal Horodecki, Jonathan Oppenheim, and Andreas Winter, Partial Quantum Information, Nature 436, 673 (2005).
- Marcin Pawlowski, Tomasz Paterek, Dagomir Kaszlikowski, Valerio Scarani, Andreas Winter, and Marek Zukowski, Information Causality as a Physical Principle, Nature 461, 1101 (2009).
- Runyao Duan, Simone Severini, and Andreas Winter, Zero-error communication via quantum channels, non-commutative graphs and a quantum Lovász ϑ function, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 59(2): 1164–1174 (2013).
- "Andreas Winter – Curriculum Vitae (1 February 2013)" (PDF). Physics of Information Group.
- Horodecki, M; Oppenheim, J; Winter, A (2005). "Partial quantum information". Nature. 436 (7051): 673–6. arXiv:quant-ph/0505062. Bibcode:2005Natur.436..673H. doi:10.1038/nature03909. PMID 16079840.
- London Mathematical Society: Whitehead Prizes 2012
- Andreas Winter's Homepage
- Andreas Winter's entry in the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Partial Quantum Information
- Negative Information
|This article about a German mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|