Andrei Yuryevich Okounkov
July 26, 1969
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Awards||Fields Medal (2006) |
EMS Prize (2004)
National Research University – Higher School of Economics
University of California, Berkeley
University of Chicago
|Doctoral advisor||Alexandre Kirillov|
Andrei Yuryevich Okounkov (Russian: Андре́й Ю́рьевич Окунько́в, Andrej Okun'kov) (born July 26, 1969) is a Russian mathematician who works on representation theory and its applications to algebraic geometry, mathematical physics, probability theory and special functions. He is currently a professor at the University of California, Berkeley and the academic supervisor of HSE International Laboratory of Representation Theory and Mathematical Physics. In 2006, he received the Fields Medal "for his contributions to bridging probability, representation theory and algebraic geometry."
Education and career
He graduated with a B.S. in mathematics, summa cum laude, from Moscow State University in 1993 and received his doctorate, also at Moscow State, in 1995 under Alexandre Kirillov and Grigori Olshanski. He was a professor at Columbia University between 2010 and 2022. He previously was a professor at Princeton University, where he was awarded a Packard Fellowship (2001), the European Mathematical Society Prize (2004), and the Fields Medal (2006); an assistant and associate professor at Berkeley, where he was awarded a Sloan Research Fellowship; and an instructor at the University of Chicago. He rejoined the faculty at Berkeley in the summer of 2022.
He has worked on the representation theory of infinite symmetric groups, the statistics of plane partitions, and the quantum cohomology of the Hilbert scheme of points in the complex plane. Much of his work on Hilbert schemes was joint with Rahul Pandharipande.
In 2006, at the 25th International Congress of Mathematicians in Madrid, Spain, he received the Fields Medal "for his contributions to bridging probability, representation theory and algebraic geometry." In 2016, he became a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- "International Laboratory of Representation Theory and Mathematical Physics". mf.hse.ru.
- "Information about Andrei Okounkov, Fields Medal winner" Archived 2016-10-20 at the Wayback Machine, ICM Press Release
- "G. Olshanski - Grigori Olshanski". www.iitp.ru.
- Newly Elected Members, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, April 2016, retrieved 2016-04-20
- Andrei Okounkov home page at Columbia
- Andrei Okounkov home page at Princeton
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Andrei Okounkov", MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive, University of St Andrews
- Andrei Okounkov at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- EMS Prize 2004 citation
- Fields Medal citation Archived 2016-10-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Andrei Okounkov's articles on the Arxiv
- Daily Princetonian story
- BBC story