26 March 2000|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||187 lb (85 kg; 13 st 5 lb)|
|NHL team||Carolina Hurricanes|
2nd overall, 2018|
Andrei Igorevich Svechnikov (born 26 March 2000) is a Russian professional ice hockey winger currently playing for the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was projected as a top pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, and was drafted second overall by the Carolina Hurricanes.
Svechnikov began his junior career in North America with the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL. He signed a tender with the Lumberjacks in May 2016, due in part to proximity to his brother's AHL team in Grand Rapids. Svechnikov had immediate success with the Lumberjacks, emerging as the team's leading scorer and finishing sixth in league scoring. He was named to the All-USHL Team and was declared USHL Rookie of the Year.
Svechnikov was selected first overall in the 2017 CHL Import Draft by the Barrie Colts. Prior to the start of the season, he was highly regarded as a top prospect and was seen as a candidate for 1st overall.
Svechnikov won the Emms Family Award as OHL rookie of the year. At the end of the season he was ranked the No. 1 North American skater by NHL Central Scouting Bureau, described as an elite skater and finisher.
On 1 July 2018, Svechnikov was signed to a max three-year, entry-level contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. He made his NHL debut on 4 October 2018, against the New York Islanders, and recorded his first NHL goal on October 7 in an 8–5 win over the New York Rangers.
Regular season and playoffs
Awards and honours
|First All-Star Team||2017|
|Rookie of the Year||2017|
|Emms Family Award (OHL Rookie of the Year)||2017–18|
- "2018 NHL Draft Rankings: HockeyProspect.com's Early Top 31 - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft". www.hockeyprospect.com. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- USHL (2016-05-01). "Andrei Svechnikov signs tender with Muskegon Lumberjacks". USHL. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "All In The Svechnikov Family". Winging It In Motown. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "Svechnikov to sign with Barrie of Ontario Hockey League". NHL.com. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Svechnikov stays No. 1 in Central Scouting final rankings". NHL.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "Canes sign Svechnikov to entry-level contract". Carolina Hurricanes. 2018-07-01. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- Dusterberg, Kurt (4 October 2018). "Islanders win Trotz debut in OT against Hurricanes". NHL.com. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Warren Foegele scores 2 as Hurricanes beat winless Rangers 8-5". Winston-Salem Journal. 7 October 2018. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- "Young Russian hockey star Andrei Svechnikov – and his mother – are loving their stay in Muskegon". Local Sports Journal. 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- Biographical information and career statistics from Eliteprospects.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| Carolina Hurricanes first round draft pick
|This biographical article relating to a Russian ice hockey winger is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|