Andrej Šali speaking at ISMB 2012.
|Alma mater||Birkbeck College, University of London|
|Institutions||University of California, San Francisco|
Birkbeck College, University of London
University of Ljubljana
|Thesis||Modelling three-dimensional structure of a protein from its amino acid sequence (1991)|
|Doctoral advisor||Tom Blundell|
|Notable students||Ilya Vakser|
Andrej Šali (born 1963, Kranj, Slovenia) is a computational structural biologist. Since 2003, he has been Professor in the Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences at University of California, San Francisco. He also serves as an editor of the journal Structure.
Šali received his Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from University of Ljubljana, 1987; his Ph.D. in Molecular Biophysics from Birkbeck College, University of London, 1991 (working with Tom Blundell); and did postdoctoral work at Harvard University (working with Martin Karplus).
Sali joined the faculty of the Rockefeller University in 1995, following his postdoctoral research at Harvard University. He is using computation grounded in the laws of physics and evolution to study the structure and function of proteins. For example, he developed comparative protein structure modeling by satisfaction of spatial restraints, implemented in program MODELLER and integrative structure determination of macromolecular assemblies, implemented in program IMP.
Sali contributes greatly to structural biology by developing and applying computational methods for structural modeling and analysis of proteins. The two most often used programs developed by his research group include MODELLER for comparative protein structure modeling and IMP for integrative structure determination.
As of June 2017, Šali published approximately 370 papers, which were cited approximately 56,000 times per Google Scholar. His Hirsch-index is 104 (i.e., 104 publication have been cited at least 104 times).
Notable alumni from Šali Lab
|Name||Lab Position||Duration||Current Location||Current Position|
|Frank Alber||Postdoctoral Fellow||University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA||Professor|
|Andras Fiser||Postdoctoral Fellow||Sep 1997 to Dec 2002||Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY||Professor|
|Rachel Karchin||Postdoctoral Fellow||Aug 2003 to Aug 2006||Johns Hopkins University||Associate Professor|
|Marc A. Marti-Renom||Postdoctoral Fellow
Adjunct Assistant Professor
|Feb 1999 to Jun 2006||National Center for Genomic Analysis (CNAG), Barcelona, Spain||Group Leader|
|M.S. Madhusudhan||Postdoctoral Scholar||Feb 2000 to Mar 2008||IISER, Pune, India||Associate Professor|
|David Barkan||Ph.D. Student||Sept 2006 to Oct 2011||Protagonist Therapeutics||Staff Scientist|
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- Sali, Andrej (1984). Modelling three-dimensional structure of a protein from its amino acid sequence (PhD thesis). London, Birkbeck College.
- Šali, A.; Blundell, T. L. (1993). "Comparative Protein Modelling by Satisfaction of Spatial Restraints". Journal of Molecular Biology. 234 (3): 779–815. doi:10.1006/jmbi.1993.1626. PMID 8254673.
- Russel, D.; Lasker, K.; Webb, B.; Velázquez-Muriel, J.; Tjioe, E.; Schneidman-Duhovny, D.; Peterson, B.; Sali, A. (2012). "Putting the Pieces Together: Integrative Modeling Platform Software for Structure Determination of Macromolecular Assemblies". PLoS Biology. 10 (1): e1001244. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001244. PMC 3260315. PMID 22272186.
- Andrej Šali’s Publications
- "Andrej Sali". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2018-07-23.