|9th Speaker of the National Council of the Slovak Republic|
|Assumed office |
23 March 2016
|Preceded by||Peter Pellegrini|
|Born||12 August 1974|
|Political party||Slovak National Party|
|Alma mater||Comenius University|
Born in Revúca, Danko studied at the Faculty of Law at Comenius University in Bratislava. After compulsory military service, he founded several commercial companies and worked as an independent lawyer.
Promotion to the rank of Captain in Reserve
In September 2016, while in his position as the Speaker of the Parliament, Danko was promoted by eight ranks (from OR-4 to O-2), to Captain in Reserve of the Slovak Army, by his friend Peter Gajdoš, the Minister of Defense. The promotion was viewed by some in the media, general and internet public as a sign of corrupt government. This is because a single promotion by eight ranks has never happened in the history of Slovak Army, not at all to a person who has only joined mandatory national service for the period of one year.
In 2018, Danko was accused of plagiarism of his doctoral thesis at University of Matej Bel in 2000. When media showed interest in his thesis, he asked the university to ban public access to his thesis. Following public pressure, Danko removed the ban after one month and the university library allowed the public to see the thesis, but not to take pictures of it. In November 2018 the university set up a commission to review his thesis. According to the conclusion published by the commission in January 2019, the rigorous procedure met valid regulations, but the thesis contains parts that only slightly differ from original sources, the most of the thesis is the same to a large extent and it preserves also the structure of sources without proper citation or paraphrasing.
- "Andrej Danko". Aktuality.sk. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Andrej Danko elected as new Slovak Parliament chairman". Xinhua. 24 March 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Danko: Na hodnosť kapitán som hrdý, zaslúžim si ju". Pravda. 19 January 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Internet oslavuje novú hodnosť predsedu SNS vtipnými obrázkami: Kapitán Danko, pozor na ľadovec!". Cas. 19 January 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Andreja Danka povýšil minister obrany za SNS na kapitána (+video)". Dennik N. 19 January 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Denník N: Danko is a plagiarist". spectator.sme.sk. The Slovak Spectator. 2018-11-15. Retrieved 2018-12-15.
- "Dankova rigorózna práca nedáva univerzite spávať". Pravda. 13 November 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- Vyhlásenie účelovej komisie Akademického senátu Univerzity Mateja Bela na preskúmanie podozrení na plagiátorstvo rigoróznych prác UMB (in Slovak), Univerzita Mateja Bela, 2019-01-09