- California Institute of Technology, 1927–28;
- Fox Film Corporation, 1929–31;
- Mackay Radio and Telegraph Company, 1934–41;
- Air Navigation Lab, International Telegraph Development Corporation, 1938–41;
- Harvard University Radio Research Lab from 1943 to 1945;
- Direction Finder and Antenna Division, ITT, from 1943 to 1945;
- Founded the Alford Manufacturing Company.
He invented a balanced square antenna named the Alford Loop.
In 1965, the first Master FM Antenna system in the world designed to allow individual FM stations to broadcast simultaneously from one source was erected on the Empire State Building. The original system was co-invented by Alford and Frank Kear.
- U.S. Patent 2,682,050 Localizer Antenna System