Andrew Baggarly (born c. 1975) is an American journalist and author who has covered Major League Baseball teams since 1998 and the San Francisco Giants since 2004. As of December 2017, he is the Giants beat writer for The Athletic.
Baggarly is the author of A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants (2011) and Giant Splash: Bondsian Blasts, World Series Parades, and Other Thrilling Moments by the Bay (2015).
In 1998, Baggarly began covering Major League Baseball for the San Bernardino County Sun. Baggarly later worked for the Riverside Press-Enterprise, where he served as a beat reporter covering the Anaheim Angels from 2000–01 and the Los Angeles Dodgers from 2002–03.
Baggarly spent a combined eight years with the Oakland Tribune, from 2004–06, and the San Jose Mercury News, from 2006–12, covering Giants baseball as a beat writer. He also followed the Giants in his blog, "Extra Baggs," created for Bay Area News Group. In 2012, Baggarly joined Comcast SportsNet Bay Area as their "Giants Insider", covering the team on several different multiplatform outlets. In late September 2014, Baggarly was reportedly boycotted by Giants players after he wrote about a clubhouse argument. Baggarly left CSN and returned to the Bay Area News Group in 2015. In December 2017, Baggarly joined The Athletic as their Giants beat writer.
Baggarly was born in Naperville, Illinois and grew up a Chicago Cubs fan in suburban Los Angeles. He graduated from Damien High School in La Verne, California, and the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University in 1997. He lives in Millbrae, California.
- "About - extrabaggs". Archived from the original on December 27, 2014.
- "Andrew Baggarly joins Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, CSNBayArea.com to cover Giants" (Press release). Comcast Sports Net. February 7, 2012.
- Baggarly, Andrew (December 6, 2017). "Baggarly: Here's why I'm joining The Athletic … in the middle of a potentially epic Giants offseason". The Athletic.
- Platt, Ben (April 19, 2011). "Books celebrate Giants' championship season". MLB.com.
- "Giant Splash: Bondsian Blasts, World Series Parades, and Other Thrilling Moments by the Bay". Amazon.com.
- Draper, Kevin (September 23, 2014). "Reports: San Francisco Giants Boycotting Long-Time Beat Reporter". Deadspin.
- Berman, Steve (September 23, 2014). "San Francisco Giants players reportedly boycotting beat writer". Bay Area Sports Guy.
- "Andrew Baggarly back on the San Francisco Giants beat". Bay Area News Group. February 18, 2015.
- "Umpires, official scorers announced for 78th All-Star Game" (Press release). MLB.com. June 14, 2007.
- "2016 Hall of Fame Ballots". bbwaa.com. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Exclusive Interview with Andrew Baggarly, author of A Band of Misfits". Book(ed) Passage. July 18, 2011.
- Reis, Julia (May 1, 2013). "Ink dries on sportswriter's print career, but Andrew Baggarly remains a storyteller". Peninsula Press.
- Baggarly, Andrew (May 21, 2015). "Extra Baggs: Amid Karl the Fog, Lincecum passes Carl Hubbell; Buster Posey deals with taunting Dodgers; a get-right inning for Jeremy Affeldt, etc". Bay Area News Group.
- Ellwanger, Jim (December 6, 2005). "What good is this blog if we can't use it to embarrass people we know?". Baseball-Related Program Activities.
- Andrew Baggarly [@extrabaggs] (December 10, 2014). "Card Sharks, young people's week, circa 1986" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Andrew Baggarly's "Jeopardy" Run Comes To End On Fourth Day". SportsBusiness Daily. July 26, 2012.
- "J! Archive - Andy Baggarly". J! Archive. Retrieved January 7, 2016.