Andrew Bailey (baseball)
Bailey with the Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
May 31, 1984 |
Voorhees, New Jersey
|April 6, 2009 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||2.64|
Career highlights and awards
Andrew Scott Bailey (born May 31, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the New York Yankees organization. Bailey played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Oakland Athletics and Boston Red Sox and won the 2009 American League Rookie of the Year Award while closing games for the Oakland Athletics. He was named to the 2009 and 2010 All-Star teams as well.
From Wagner College, he was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the sixth round (188th overall) of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. Bailey started off the season on the Athletics' AA affiliate, the Midland Rockhounds. Bailey participated in the 2008 Arizona Fall League as a member of the Phoenix Desert Dogs. He made the Athletics Opening Day 25-man roster for the 2009 season as a long shot. Bailey was selected to represent the Athletics in the 2009 MLB All-Star Game in St. Louis. Bailey broke the Athletics rookie save record on September 12 against the Minnesota Twins with his 24th save of the season.
After a final line of 26 saves and a 1.84 ERA, Bailey was named 2009 American League Rookie of the Year on November 16, 2009.
On September 12, 2011, Bailey was hit right above the temple by a line drive in batting practice. He felt fine, passed concussion tests, and sat out the next few days. He returned to action to face the Tigers a few games later.
Boston Red Sox
On December 28, 2011, Bailey and Ryan Sweeney were traded from Oakland to the Boston Red Sox for Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers (20-year-old third baseman Miles Head and 19-year-old righty Raul Alcantara). On April 4, 2012, it was announced that Bailey would require reconstructive surgery on his right thumb and that he will begin the 2012 season on the disabled list. Bailey was not expected to pitch again for the Red Sox until after the All-Star break in July 2012. Bailey made his 2012 debut with the Red Sox on August 14, pitching a third of an inning in a loss to Baltimore. Bailey finished the 2012 season with 151⁄3 innings pitched, a 7.04 ERA, and a 1.89 WHIP.
Bailey began the 2013 season as a middle reliever with the Red Sox, but when closer Joel Hanrahan was injured in mid-April, Bailey took over the closer position. Bailey complied 8 saves, a 3-1 record and a 3.77 ERA in 30 appearances until he suffered a shoulder injury that kept him from playing for the rest of the season. After the All-Star Break, MRIs tested positive that there was a torn capsule and damaged labrum in his throwing shoulder. He underwent shoulder surgery on July 24, ending his 2013 season. After the 2013 season, Bailey was non-tendered by the Red Sox, making him a free agent.
New York Yankees
On February 22, 2014, Bailey signed a minor league deal with the New York Yankees with a $2.5 million salary if he made the major league roster and a club option for the 2015 season. After numerous setbacks in his recovery from his shoulder injury, Bailey was ruled out for the 2014 season on August 17. The Yankees signed him to a new minor league contract on November 7, 2014, after declining his 2015 option a few days earlier.
- Urban, Mychael. Bailey takes AL rookie award, MLB.com. Published November 16, 2009. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- Slusser, Susan. "A's Andrew Bailey out tonight after being hit by line drive". The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Kruth, Cash (December 28, 2011). "Red Sox acquire closer Bailey from A's". MLB.com. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- Seidel, Jeff (April 4, 2012). "Bailey needs surgery, out until All-Star break". MLB.com. Retrieved April 4, 2012.
- "Joel Hanrahan is coming, but Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey will be hard to displace". The Republican. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- "N.J.'s Andrew Bailey still hurt, won't pitch for Yankees in 2014". NJ.com. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Boston Red Sox on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Yanks to add reliever Bailey on Minors deal". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Andrew Bailey not expected to pitch for the Yankees this season - HardballTalk". nbcsports.com. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Andrew Bailey on Twitter