June 21, 1962 |
Arverne, New York, U.S.
|Associated acts||Walter Perkins, Ron McClure, Don Friedman, M-Base|
As a child, Cheshire played the piano, but switched to the guitar at age 10. While majoring in fine art in high school, he played jazz in local bands around Long Island. By 1980, Cheshire moved to Brooklyn where he began attending jam sessions at clubs such as the Blue Coronet and Pumpkins. It was during this time that he had the opportunity play with jazz veterans like Harold Mabern, Kenny Barron, Gil Coggins, Dewey Redman and Louis Hayes.
In 1991, Cheshire had become a member of drummer Walter Perkins group and began forming an association with members of the M-Base collective. During this period he recorded his first sides as a leader which appear on the record Water Street Revival. In the mid-1990s, Cheshire formed associations with tenor saxophonist Rich Perry, bassist Ron McClure and pianist Don Friedman; the latter recording two records together — Cheshire's This is Me (1996) and Don's Attila's Dreams (1998) dedicated to Don's longtime friend and musical associate, the late Attila Zoller.
Cheshire has recorded fifteen records as a leader. He has written numerous compositions for jazz ensemble and has recorded two records for solo guitar. His other musical interests encompass world music and classical for which he recently completed a string quartet. As an electric guitarist, Cheshire's interest in sound amplification has led him to design and build several of his own guitar amplifiers featuring original circuits and visual themes. His art transcends different mediums: as a fine artist, his paintings in oil on canvas adorn the covers of most of his CDs.
- This Is Me (Joule, 1996)
- Another View (Joule, 1997)
- Water Street Revival (Joule, 1998)
- Magic (Joule, 2000)
- Guitar Noir (Joule, 2001)
- Faces (Joule, 2002)
- Morning Song (Joule, 2003)
- Pavane Pour Une Infante Difunte (Joule, 2003)
- Four Ages Of Bob (Joule, 2004)
- Man is an Island (Joule, 2005)
- Silent Trees Falling (Joule, 2006)
- Virtual String Quartet (Joule, 2007)
- Ballads (Joule, 2010)
- Another View Live! (Joule, 2014)
- Pyramids (Joule, 2014)
- All-Music Guide, overview/Andrew Cheshire. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- All-Music Guide, overview/Attila's Dreams. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- Andrew Cheshire: Electronic Art Archived October 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine..Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- Andrew Cheshire: Music Art Archived October 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine..Retrieved 24 October 2009.