Andrew Cornell Robinson
|Andrew Cornell Robinson|
|Education||Maryland Institute College of Art
Glasgow School of Art
School of Visual Arts
|Known for||Visual Art
|Awards||Edward F. Albee Foundation Fellow|
Andrew Cornell Robinson (born 1968 in New Jersey) is an American artist based in New York City.
Robinson's work spans various media from ceramics and painting to printmaking and sculptural installations. His work combines humor, history, and sculptural forms and transforms ceramics into a very contemporary medium. Robinson's sculpture explores memory and narrative through a sublime handling of materials and contrasts this with eccentric forms that touch upon personal and socio-political content through the use of craft and assemblage materials.
Robinson's work is in private and public collections and has been exhibited widely at galleries and museums such as Anna Kustera Gallery and Paul Sharpe Projects in New York, Eyelevel BQE Gallery in Brooklyn, and the Baltimore Contemporary Museum and the Aldrich Museum of Art. His work has been featured in presentations by the Craft Council of the United Kingdom, Clay in the East at the Virginia Commonwealth University and the American Center for Design in Chicago. He has written art criticism and essays for Sculpture Magazine, ArtCat, and The Gay City News. He was a founding member of the board of directors of the Foucault Society in the United States. He has received awards from Cannes for digital media work and fellowships from The Edward Albee Foundation in 2010.
His work has been the subject of reviews and essays by Frank Holliday, Hrag Vartanian and Zane Wilson. Wilson wrote about Robinson's work "Andrew Robinson’s work overlaps themes of multiple cultures, sexual identity, absence of historical presence, political awareness executed through careful nods to art history through genuine invention of beautifully crafted objects."
Robinson lives in New York City.
- Edward Albee Foundation Fellows 2010
- Art Rx, by Hrag Vartanian, March 26, 2013 http://hyperallergic.com/67634/art-rx-57/
- Holliday, Frank, "Another Green World, Andrew Cornell Robinson In the Viewing Room" at Paul Sharpe Gallery, Gay City News, November 30, 2006.
- Teleri, L-J, Assemble 2010, the Crafts Council conference, Crafts Magazine, 23 Jun 2010
- Robinson, Andrew Cornell "How to Have Courage: A Conversation with Michelle Lopez". Sculpture Magazine. International Sculpture Center. Retrieved October 3,2 013.
- Ronbinson, Andrew (May 6, 2009). "Michelle Lopez with Andrew Robinson". ArtCat Zine.
- "Founding Board of Directors: Biographies".
- Coloribus Advertising Archive, Cannes Lions 2007 - Cyber Lions Silver: ACTION HERO, http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/online-design/cannes-lions-2007-action-hero-10052755/
- Zellerford, David (October 2010). "Create or Else: Andrew Cornell Robinson". Create or Else.
- Wilson Zane (2010). "Cobbling Together". Eyelevel BQE Gallery, Brooklyn, New York.
- "Robinson, Andrew". Parsons The New School for Design. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Official website
- Video interview with Andrew Cornell Robinson at the Edward Albee Foundation
- Algo más…, an interview with Colour Me In
- Andrew Cornell Robinson, Presentation at the Crafts Council, London, UK, 2010
- ART CAT, Pick, 2010
- Listing of Fellows on the Edward Albee Foundation
- Andrew Cornell Robinson interviews Michelle Lopez
- Disobedience And Through The Night Softly: Andrew Cornell Robinson And Gregory Green At Anna Kustera, by Catherine Spaeth, Huffington Post, 20 December 2011
- Top Ten November shows in NYC, By Doug McClemont, Saatchi Online Magazine, November 15, 2011
- Andrew Cornell Robinson at Anna Kustera by Christopher Robbins, Contemporary Myth-making
- Assemble, Crafts Magazine Online, London, 2010
- Interview Andrew Cornell Robinson: Create or Else, New York, 2010