Andrew Cornell Robinson
Andrew Cornell Robinson
|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
|Education||Glasgow School of Art|
|Alma mater||Maryland Institute College of Art|
School of Visual Arts
|Known for||Visual Art|
|Awards||Edward F. Albee Foundation Fellow|
Early life and education
Born in 1968 in New Jersey, United States. Robinson studied at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) in Baltimore, Maryland and received a B.F.A. in Ceramics in 1991. In 1994, he received a M.F.A. in Sculpture from the School of Visual Arts in New York City.
Robinson's work spans various media from ceramics and painting to printmaking and sculpture. His work combines humor, history, and sculptural forms and transforms ceramics into a very contemporary medium. Robinson's sculpture explores memory and narrative through a sublime handling of materials and contrasts this with eccentric forms that touch upon personal and socio-political content through the use of craft and assemblage materials.
Robinson's work is in private and public collections and has been exhibited widely at galleries and museums such as David & Schwietzer Contemporary, Christopher Stout Gallery, Anna Kustera Gallery and Paul Sharpe Projects, Eyelevel BQE Gallery in New York City, and the Ross Museum in Ohio, Baltimore Contemporary Museum, Saint Joseph's University Gallery  and the Aldrich Museum of Art. His work has been featured in presentations by the Craft Council of the United Kingdom, Clay in the East at the Virginia Commonwealth University and the American Center for Design in Chicago. He has written art criticism and essays for Sculpture Magazine, ArtCat, and The Gay City News. He was a founding member of the board of directors of the Foucault Society in the United States. He has received awards from Cannes for digital media work and fellowships from The Edward Albee Foundation in 2010.
His work has been the subject of reviews and essays by Frank Holliday, Hrag Vartanian and Zane Wilson. Wilson wrote about Robinson's work "Andrew Robinson’s work overlaps themes of multiple cultures, sexual identity, absence of historical presence, political awareness executed through careful nods to art history through genuine invention of beautifully crafted objects."
- Edward Albee Foundation Fellows 2010
- "Andrew Cornell Robinson". Artspace. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "Robinson, Andrew" Archived October 5, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. Parsons The New School for Design. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Art Rx, by Hrag Vartanian, March 26, 2013 http://hyperallergic.com/67634/art-rx-57/
- Holliday, Frank, "Another Green World, Andrew Cornell Robinson In the Viewing Room" at Paul Sharpe Gallery, Gay City News, November 30, 2006.
- https://sju.edu/news-events/news/revisionist-history-inspires-sculpture-sju-gallery%7CAndrew Cornell Robinson “Wishful Thinking”, December 19, 2017
- Teleri, L-J, Assemble 2010, the Crafts Council conference, Crafts Magazine, 23 Jun 2010
- Robinson, Andrew Cornell "How to Have Courage: A Conversation with Michelle Lopez". Sculpture Magazine. International Sculpture Center. Retrieved October 3,2 013.
- Ronbinson, Andrew (May 6, 2009). "Michelle Lopez with Andrew Robinson". ArtCat Zine.
- "Founding Board of Directors: Biographies".
- Coloribus Advertising Archive, Cannes Lions 2007 - Cyber Lions Silver: ACTION HERO, http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/online-design/cannes-lions-2007-action-hero-10052755/
- Zellerford, David (October 2010). "Create or Else: Andrew Cornell Robinson". Create or Else.
- Wilson Zane (2010). "Cobbling Together". Eyelevel BQE Gallery, Brooklyn, New York.
- Official website
- Video interview with Andrew Cornell Robinson at the Edward Albee Foundation
- Algo más…, an interview with Colour Me In
- Andrew Cornell Robinson, Presentation at the Crafts Council, London, UK, 2010
- ART CAT, Pick, 2010
- Andrew Cornell Robinson interviews Michelle Lopez
- Disobedience And Through The Night Softly: Andrew Cornell Robinson And Gregory Green At Anna Kustera, by Catherine Spaeth, Huffington Post, 20 December 2011
- Top Ten November shows in NYC, By Doug McClemont, Saatchi Online Magazine, November 15, 2011
- Andrew Cornell Robinson at Anna Kustera by Christopher Robbins, Contemporary Myth-making
- Assemble, Crafts Magazine Online, London, 2010
- Interview Andrew Cornell Robinson: Create or Else, New York, 2010