D'Angelo at the 2012 Moers Festival.
|Birth name||Andrew Norman D’Angelo|
2 November 1965|
|Instruments||Bass clarinet, Saxophones|
D’Angelo was raised in Seattle where he met with Chris Speed and Jim Black, before he moved to New York City in 1985. He worked again with Chris Speed in Boston, where both collaborated with the guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel in the band 'Human Feel'. He also played in the Either/Orchestra. The band members then moved to Brooklyn in the early 1990s, where members of the former 'Downtown' were on the music scene. D’Angelo also played in the bands of Erik Friedlander, Bobby Previte, Jamie Saft/Cuong Vu, Reid Anderson, and Ed Schuller in the band Orange Then Blue and began a long lasting collaboration with the drummer Matt Wilson.
D’Angelo has composed music for Big Band, chamber music, string ensembles and soloists. D'Angelo has released three albums with his trio 'Morthana'. First in 2008 the album Skadra Degis (Skirl Records), in a trio with Jim Black and Trevor Dunn. With his band 'Make Music' he collaborates with pianist Josh Roseman and the tenor saxophonist Bill McHenry.
- 2004: Morthana With Pride (Doubtmusic)
- With duo Andrew D'Angelo / Jaime Fennelly
- 2002: Terpsichorea #2 (Falçata-Galia)
- With Andrew D'Angelo Trio
- 2008: Skadra Degis (Skirl)
- 2014: Norman (Brain Music)
- With Either/Orchestra
- 1986: Dial E (Accurate)
- 1988: Radium (Accurate)
- 1990: The Half-Life of Desire (Accurate)
- 1992: The Calculus of Pleasure (Accurate)
- 1994: The Brunt (Accurate)
- 1996: Across the Omniverse (Accurate)
- 2000: More Beautiful Than Death (Accurate)
- 2002: Afro-Cubism (Accurate)
- 2003: Neo-Modernism (Accurate)
- 2004: Éthiopiques 20 : Live in Addis (Buda Musique)
- 2010: Mood Music for Time Travellers (Accurate)
- With 'Debris'
- 1993: Terre Haute (Rastascan)
- With 'Human Feel'
- 1989: Human Use (Human Use)
- 1991: Scatter (GM)
- 1994: Welcome to Malpesta (New World )
- With Ed Schuller
- 1994: The Force (Tutu)
- With Bobby Previte's 'Weather Clear, Track Fast'
- With Erik Friedlander
- 1996: The Watchman (Tzadik)
- With Matt Wilson
- 1998: Going Once, Going Twice (Palmetto)
- 1999: Smile (Palmetto)
- 2003: Humidity (Palmetto)
- 2009: That's Gonna Leave a Mark (Palmetto)
- 2013: Gathering Call (Palmetto), with John Medeski
- With 'Morthana' trio including Anders Hana and Morten J. Olsen
- 2003: Morthana (Jazzaway)
- 2009: Smell the Difference (Skirl)
- With 'The Bureau of Atomic Tourism'
- 2013: Arco Idaho (Rat)
- 2013: Second Law of Thermodynamics (Rat)
- 2014: Spinning Jenny (Rat)
- 2014: Scintigraphy (Rat)
- Richard Cook, Brian Morton: The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. 8th edition. Penguin, London 2006, ISBN 0-141-02327-9.