Early life and education
He was first violinist of the Toronto-based Orford String Quartet throughout its existence from 1965 to 1991. The group toured through North America in 1984. He also performed with the Tokyo String Quartet in 1995.
Dawes was a Professor of Music at the University of Toronto Faculty of Music. He is Professor Emeritus The University of British Columbia School of Music. He was a Distinguished Visiting Scholar and Catherine Thornhill Steele Chair in Music at McGill University. He was a member of the board of directors of the Saint James Music Academy , and a director of the Vancouver Academy of Music's Chamber Music Institute.
Dawes has acted as a juror on a number of competitions, including the London International String Quartet competition, the Coleman Chamber Music Competition, and the Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition. He was chairman of the Banff String Quartet Competition from 1989 to 2004.
- 2013 Governor General Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Achievement in Classical Music
- Appointed Member of the Order of Canada in 1991
- The Dorothy Somerset Award for Excellence in Performance and Development
- The Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
- Juno Awards: 11 nominations and 3 wins
- Chalmers National Music Award
- The Canada Council Molson Prize
- 1964 Prix de Virtuosité from the Conservatoire de Musique de Genève
- 2013 Governor General's Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Artistic Achievement
Notable Dawes recordings include
- Beethoven Complete Sonatas for Piano & Violin with Jane Coop
- Beethoven The Complete Quartets with the Orford String Quartet
- Mozart String Quartets with the Orford String Quartet
- "Curious package stretches Sharon tradition". Toronto Star - Toronto, Ont. Ronald Hambleton , Jul 13, 1987 Page: D.2
- "Orford quartet lives up to the bravos". Toronto Star - Toronto, Ont. Ronald Hambleton Nov 9, 1990 Page: D.16
- Curtin Call: A Photographer's Candid View of 25 Years of Music in Canada. Exile Editions, Ltd.; 1994. ISBN 978-1-55096-051-8. p. 127–.
- Franz A. J. Szabo. Austrian Immigration to Canada: Selected Essays. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP; 1996. ISBN 978-0-88629-281-2. p. 116–.
- Opera Canada. Volumes 15-17. Canadian Opera Association; 1974. p. 20.
- Ulla Colgress. For the Love of Music: Interviews with Ulla Colgrass. [Robert Aitken ...]. Oxford University Press, Incorporated; 1988. ISBN 978-0-19-540665-8. p. 130.
- Concert Life in Puerto Rico, 1957-1992: Views and Reviews. La Editorial, UPR; 1998. ISBN 978-0-8477-0320-3. p. 63–.
- Saturday Night. Volume 105, Issues 6-10. Consolidated Press Limited; 1990. p. 10.
- Ovation. Vol. 5. Ovation Magazine Associates; 1984. p. 6.
- "A moving Toronto goodbye from the Tokyo Quartet". ROBERT HARRIS. The Globe and Mail, April 5, 2013
- General, The Office of the Secretary to the Governor. "The Governor General of Canada". Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- Governor General of Canada. "Andrew A. Dawes, C.M." Governor General's Office. Ottawa: Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Canadian violinist Andrew Dawes receives Governor General's lifetime achievement award". The Strad, 9 April 2013