Durante, captain of Wellington Phoenix
|Full name||Andrew James Durante|
|Date of birth||3 May 1982|
|Place of birth||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2011||→ Sydney FC (loan)||0||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 December 2016.
Born in Sydney, Australia, Durante played youth football with Sydney Olympic before making his senior debut at the club. He also played for Parramatta Power before moving to Singapore to play for Balestier Khalsa. After returning to Australia to play for Sydney United, Durante joined Newcastle Jets in the newly formed A-League. Durante joined Wellington Phoenix in 2008, and is currently the player with the most appearances for the club. He has also spent time on loan at Sydney FC for the Asian Champions League in 2011.
Durante became eligible to play for New Zealand in 2013, having lived in the country for five years, and made nine appearances for the national team before stepping aside from international football in 2015. In September 2016, he made himself available again for national team selection and was subsequently named in the team to tour the United States to play USA and Mexico in October 2016.
Durante joined the Phoenix in as captain at the start of the 2008–09 season and made an instant impact helping them make the final of the Pre-Season cup against Melbourne Victory, only narrowly losing 7–8 on penalty kicks.
In October 2009 Durante extended his contract with Wellington Phoenix until the end of 2011–12 season. Durante played every minute of the 2009–10 season for the Phoenix and along with Ben Sigmund for most of the season and utility Jon McKain, helped Wellington to their best defensive season in their history, conceding just 29 goals in 27 league matches of the regular season.
Durante led the Phoenix to a first-ever A-League finals appearance at the conclusion of the 2009–10 season after finishing in 4th place, earning them a home playoff match against 5th placed Perth Glory.
In January 2012 Durante extended his contract with Wellington by a further two years keeping him at the club until at least 2015.
Durante was selected in Pim Verbeek's Socceroo squad in February 2010 for Australia's 2011 AFC Asian Cup qualification match against Indonesia. Durante became a New Zealand Citizen on 6 March 2013 and the next day was named in his first All Whites squad. He made his international debut for New Zealand in their World Cup Qualifier against the Solomon Islands in Honiara.
In August 2015, Durante ruled himself to be unavailable for national selection for reasons including to spend more time with his family and the physical strain of international football. He returned to the team just over a year later for a tour of North America.
International career statistics
|New Zealand national team|
A-League career statistics
on loan from Wellington Phoenix
|Last updated 22 April 2016|
- Joe Marston Medal: 2008
- Wellington Phoenix Player of the Year: 2009–10, 2012–13
- PFA A-League Team of the Season: 2011–12, 2014–15
- http://www.wellingtonphoenix.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=39043[dead link]
- "Durante commits to Phoenix". footballaustralia.com.au. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Durante closer to All Whites honours". NZ Herald. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "After Socceroos dreams fade, Phoenix skipper Andrew Durante becomes All White". The Australian. 6 March 2013. Archived from the original on 15 May 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "All Whites named for March qualifiers". NZ Football. 6 March 2013. Archived from the original on 12 July 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Wellington Phoenix captain Andrew Durante pulls pin on brief All Whites career". Stuff.co.nz. 30 August 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Andrew Durante returns to All Whites". Newshub. 29 September 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2016.