Andrew Durante, captain of Wellington Phoenix FC
|Full name||Andrew James Durante|
|Date of birth||3 May 1982|
|Place of birth||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2011||→ Sydney FC (loan AFC CL)||5||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 November 2014.
Andrew Durante (born 3 May 1982 in Sydney, New South Wales) is an Australian-born New Zealand footballer, who plays as a centre back and captain for the New Zealand-based A-League club Wellington Phoenix. As of 6 March 2013, Durante officially pledged his allegiance to New Zealand after spending five years in the country of his club.
Durante joined the Phoenix in as captain at the start of the 2008–09 season and made an instant impact helping them make the final of the Pre-Season cup against Melbourne Victory, only narrowly losing 7–8 on penalty kicks.
In October 2009 Durante extended his contract with Wellington Phoenix until the end of 2011–12 season. Durante played every minute of the 2009–10 season for the Phoenix and along with Ben Sigmund for most of the season and utility Jon McKain, helped Wellington to their best defensive season in their history, conceding just 29 goals in 27 league matches of the regular season.
Durante led the Phoenix to a first-ever A-League finals appearance at the conclusion of the 2009–10 season after finishing in 4th place, earning them a home playoff match against 5th placed Perth Glory.
In January 2012 Durante extended his contract with Wellington by a further two years keeping him at the club until at least 2015.
Durante was selected in Pim Verbeek's Socceroo squad in February 2010 for Australia's 2011 AFC Asian Cup qualification match against Indonesia. In 2013 Durante will become eligible to play for the All Whites as he hasn't yet appeared for his country of birth. In January 2013 Durante pledged his allegiance to New Zealand, he could appear at the earliest in All Whites 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers in March subject to his New Zealand citizenship and FIFA approval. Durante became a New Zealand Citizen on 6 March 2013 and the next day was named in his first All Whites squad. He made his international debut for New Zealand in their world cup qualifying game against Solomon Islands in Honiara.
International goals and caps
New Zealand's goal tally first.
|International appearances and goals|
|1||26 March||Lawson Tama Stadium, Honiara||Solomon Islands||2–0||2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier||NZ Football|
|2||16 October||Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain||Trinidad and Tobago||0–0||Friendly||NZ Football|
|3||5 September||King Fahd International Stadium, Riyadh||Saudi Arabia||1–0||2013 OSN Cup||Stuff.co.nz|
|4||9 September||King Fahd International Stadium, Riyadh||United Arab Emirates||0–2||2013 OSN Cup||Stuff.co.nz|
|5||13 November||Estadio Azteca, Mexico City||Mexico||1–5||2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier||FIFA|
|6||20 November||Westpac Stadium, Wellington||Mexico||2–4||2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier||FIFA|
|7||5 March||National Olympic Stadium (Tokyo), Tokyo||Japan||2-4||Friendly|
|8||30 May||Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland||South Africa||0-0||Friendly|
|9||8 September||Pakhtakor Stadium, Tashkent||Uzbekistan||0-2||Friendly|
International career statistics
|New Zealand national team|
A-League career statistics
on loan from Wellington Phoenix
|Last updated 16 March 2014|
With Sydney Olympic:
- NSL Championship: 2001–2002
With Newcastle Jets:
- Joe Marston Medal: 2007–2008 with Newcastle Jets
- Wellington Phoenix Player of the Year: 2009–10
- Wellington Phoenix Player of the Year: 2012–13
- http://www.wellingtonphoenix.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=39043[dead link]
- "Durante commits to Phoenix". footballaustralia.com.au. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Durante chasing All Whites spot". footballaustralia.com.au. 10 January 2013. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Durante closer to All Whites honours". NZ Herald. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "After Socceroos dreams fade, Phoenix skipper Andrew Durante becomes All White". The Australian. 6 March 2013. Archived from the original on 15 May 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "All Whites named for March qualifiers". NZ Football. 6 March 2013. Archived from the original on 12 July 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2013.