Ohio, United States
|Alma mater||Colorado College|
|Occupation||Curator and author|
|Spouse||Shaenon K. Garrity|
Andrew Farago is the curator of the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, author, chairman of the Northern California chapter of the National Cartoonists Society, and husband of webcomics author and illustrator Shaenon K. Garrity.
Farago began his writing career in the mid 2000s by writing for various print and online magazines. He has authored various books on cartooning, most notably 2014's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History, a book that chronicles the creative and business history of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.
Early life and education
Farago is married to Shaenon K. Garrity, herself a webcomic creator and writer. Both Farago and Garrity have both been big supporters of Richard Thompson's collaborative project Team Cul de Sac which aims to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease.
Awards and honors
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History, written by Farago, won the 2015 Harvey Award for Best Biographical, Historical, or Journalistic Presentation.
Cartoon Art Museum
Andrew Farago has worked for the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco since the summer of 2000, starting as a volunteer. It is here that he met his future wife. He moved from volunteer status to a paid position in 2001, and in 2005 he was formally named Curator of the Cartoon Art Museum. In his time with CAM he has curated over 100 exhibits.
Although remaining with the Cartoon Art Museum, Farago began to channel his love of cartoons into other venues.
Farago has written for a number of magazines both online and in print related to cartoons such as Animation World Network, The Comics Journal, and The Comics Reporter. Topics covered have included the San Francisco-based comic book convention WonderCon, interviews with Patton Oswalt, Kyle Baker, and Keith Knight, as well as a retrospective on the 20th anniversary of Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Farago's first professional comic writing came in the mid 2000s, co-writing with his wife for multiple editions of the Marvel Holiday Special. In 2007 he launched The Chronicles of William Bazillion, a webcomic surrounding the exploits of the titular character William Bazillion.
In June 2014 Insight Editions published Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History, authored by Farago. Likely the first comprehensive history of the franchise, Farago "conducted over 60 interviews over the course of two years" in the process of writing it.
The release was designed to coincide with the release of the Michael Bay produced rebooted movie, and was pushed back when the movie was so that it also coincided with the 30th Anniversary of the franchise. This book featuring art from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, including the various comics, animated series, and movies, as well as interviews with the creators of the series (Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird) and numerous others who have been involved in the series over the years. The book was met with largely favorable reaction in the press and from fans, earning a Gold Medal for Best Popular Culture Book from the Independent Publisher Book Awards  as well as a Harvey Award nomination for Best Biographical, Historical, or Journalistic Presentation.
- Spark Generators II (2002)
- Marvel Holiday Special 2005 (2005)
- Marvel Holiday Special 2006 (2006)
- Marvel Holiday Special 2007 (2007)
- The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes (2010)
- Looney Tunes Treasury: Includes Amazing Interactive Treasures from the Warner Bros. Vault! (2010)
- G.I. Joe: Cobra H.I.S.S. Tank: Includes Light & Sound! (2014)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History (2014)
- Adventure Time Bowling (2016)
- Zombie Gnome: A Tiny Terror (2017)
- The Complete Peanuts Family Album (2017)
- The Art of Harley Quinn (2017)
- Totally Awesome: The Greatest Cartoons of the Eighties (2017)
- The Zombie Gnome Defense Guide: A Complete Reference to Surviving the Tiniest Apocalypse (2018)
- Batman: The Definitive History of The Dark Knight in Comics, Film, and Beyond (2019)
- "About | andrewfargo". Andrew Fargo. 20 August 2014. Retrieved 2020-11-12 – via WordPress.
He lives in Berkeley, California with his wife, cartoonist Shaenon K. Garrity, and his son ...
- "Cartoon Art Museum Staff List". Archived from the original on February 14, 2015.
- "National Cartoonists Society Regional Chapters". National Cartoonists Society. Retrieved 2020-11-12.
- "Jazma Interview". Archived from the original on April 2, 2015.
- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History". ComicsAlliance. Archived from the original on February 13, 2015.
- "Market Watch article on TMNT: A Visual History".
- Rhode, Mike (August 23, 2013). "Meet a Visiting Comics Curator: A Chat With Andrew Farago". Washington City Paper.
- "Team Cul de Sac: Shaenon K. Garrity and Andrew Farago". July 10, 2011.
- "Inkpot Award". Comic-Con International: San Diego. December 6, 2012.
- "Best Professional Fanboy 2012". SF Weekly.
- Vaughn, Jen (June 10, 2014). "Cartoon Art Museum Highlight: Andrew Farago". Fantagraphics Books. Archived from the original on 2015-03-10. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- "Recent Posts". Animation World Network.
- "The Comics Journal No. 285, October 2007 |".
- "The Comics Reporter". www.comicsreporter.com.
- "WonderCon 2006 Beckons Hollywood to the Bay Area". Animation World Network.
- "WonderCon 2007: Bay Area Goes Geeky". Animation World Network.
- "'Ratatouille', WonderCon, Jar Jar Binks: Patton Oswalt Talks". Animation World Network.
- "'Roger Rabbit' Turns 20". Animation World Network.
- "Shaenon K. Garrity". www.shaenon.com.
- "Andrew Farago". Marvel Entertainment.
- Comicbook DB
- William Bazillion webpage
- "Book Review: 'The Looney Tunes Treasury'". Animation World Network.
- Blitz, Stefan (July 16, 2014). "FOG! Chats With Andrew Farago, Author of TMNT: THE ULTIMATE VISUAL HISTORY".
- Bozung, Justin (June 6, 2014). "Interview w/ Author Andrew Farago to Discuss Book and Movie". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan Site.
- Publishing, Recognizing Excellence in Independent. "2015 Independent Publisher Book Awards Results". Independent Publisher - feature.
- "2015 Final Ballot | Harvey Awards". Archived from the original on 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2015-07-16.