Andrew Michael Gamble FBA FAcSS FRSA (born 15 August 1947) is a British academic and author. Since January 2007 he has been Professor of Politics at the University of Cambridge and Fellow of Queens' College. He was a member of the Department of Politics at the University of Sheffield (1973-2007), for many years as a Professor.
A former pupil of Brighton College, he graduated from Cambridge University with a degree in economics, before gaining his MA in political theory from the University of Durham. He then returned to Cambridge for his doctorate in Social and Political Sciences.
While at Sheffield University, he was a founder, member and Director of the Political Economy Research Centre (PERC), Chairman of the Department of Politics (twice), and Pro-Vice Chancellor of the University. He received his Chair in Politics in 1986.
In 2005 he was awarded the Sir Isaiah Berlin Award for Lifetime Contribution to Political Studies by the PSA. His 2003 book, Between Europe and America, won the W.J.M. Mackenzie prize for the best book published in political science in 2003. He is co-editor (with the former Labour MP Tony Wright) of the academic journal The Political Quarterly, and he also sits on the editorial board of another academic journal, Representation. The main themes of his recent research have been asset-based welfare and 'Anglo-America'. His most recent book, an analysis of the politics of recession and capitalist crises, is entitled The Spectre at the Feast.
- Crisis Without End?: The Unravelling of Western Prosperity (2014)
- The Spectre at the Feast (2009)
- Between Europe and America: The Future of British Politics (2003)
- Politics and Fate (2000)
- Hayek: The Iron Cage of Liberty (1996)
- The Free Economy and the Strong State (1988, 2nd Edition 1994)
- Britain in Decline (1981, 4th Edition 1994)
- An Introduction to Modern Social and Political Thought (1981)
- The Conservative Nation (1974)
- Ideas, Interests & Consequences (1989)
- The British Party System and Economic Policy 1945-1983 (with S. A. Walkland) (1984).
- Capitalism in Crisis (with Paul Walton) (1976).
- From Alienation to Surplus Value (with Paul Walton) (1976).
Books edited/ co-edited:
- Labour, the State, Social Movements and the Challenge of Neo-liberal Globalisation (2007).
- Restating the State? (2004).
- The Political Economy of the Company (2000).
- Marxism and Social Science (1999).
- The New Social Democracy (1999).
- Fundamentals in British Politics (1999).
- Stakeholder Capitalism (1997).
- Regionalism & World Order (1996).
- The Social Economy and the Democratic State (1989)
- Developments in British Politics (series 1-7-1983-2003).
- "Prof Andrew Gamble Authorised Biography" Archived June 16, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., Debrett's People
- "Representation". editorial board. Taylor & Francis. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- The Political Quarterly (journal edited by Andrew Gamble and Tony Wright MP)
- Staff profile, Sheffield University
- review of Politics and Fate by Bernard Crick[permanent dead link]
- recent paper on Anglo-America
- April 2007 PSA conference paper, on Hegemony and Empire: British Exceptionalism and the Myth of Anglo-America
- paper on Gamble's work on Hayek
- PERC website