|Full name||Andrew Douglas Gemmell|
|National team||United States|
February 20, 1991 |
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||160 lb (73 kg)|
|Club||Delaware Swim Team|
|College team||University of Georgia|
Andrew Douglas Gemmell (born February 20, 1991) is an American competition swimmer who specializes in long-distance freestyle events. He was a member of the 2012 United States Olympic Team, and competed in the 1,500-meter freestyle event at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Gemmell was born in Columbia, Maryland, the son of Bruce, a former captain of the University of Michigan swimming team, and Debra Gemmell. He graduated from Charter School of Wilmington in Wilmington, Delaware in 2009.
Gemmell received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Georgia, where he majored in economics and swam for coach Jack Bauerle's Georgia Bulldogs swimming and diving team in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) competition in 2010, and again from 2012 to 2014, after red-shirting during the 2010–11 school year. His personal bests include a 500-yard freestyle time of 4:17.75; a 1,650-yard freestyle time of 14:41.86; and 400-yard individual medley in 3:44.89 (all times from the NCAA Championships). He completed his senior year in 2013–14.
At the 2008 FINA Youth World Swimming Championships, Gemmell won gold in the boy's 400-meter individual medley.
At the 2009 World Aquatics Championships, Gemmell won silver in the men's 10-kilometer open water race. In the 5-kilometer race, Gemmell finished fifth. Gemmell is a recipient of the United States 2009 male open-water swimmer of the year award, and was nominated for the 2009 Golden Goggle Awards as breakout swimmer of the year. At the 2010 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships, Gemmell placed fifth in the 1,500-meter freestyle and eleventh in the 400-meter individual medley.
At the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska, the U.S. qualifying meet for the 2012 Olympics, Gemmell made the U.S. Olympic team for the first time by finishing first in the 1,500-meter freestyle with a time of 14:52.19. At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, he placed ninth in the preliminary heats of the 1,500-meter freestyle with a time of 14:59.05, and did not advance among the top eight to the event final.
- "Gemmell finishes second at swimming worlds". The Associated Press. July 22, 2009. Retrieved July 23, 2009.[dead link]
- KEVIN TRESOLINI (July 23, 2009). "Silver medal just the start of Gemmell's aspirations". The News Journal. Retrieved August 8, 2009.[dead link]
- "Delaware sports: Gemmell named top open-water swimmer". The News Journal. December 3, 2009.
- Steve Munatones (November 18, 2009). "Andrew Gemmell, Breaking Out from the Pack". Retrieved January 3, 2010.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Men's 1500 metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Andrew Gemmell – National Team swimmer profile at USASwimming.org
- Andrew Gemmell – University of Georgia athlete profile at GeorgiaDogs.com