Andrew Jess Dannenberg
Andrew Jess Dannenberg (born 17 February 1956) is a U.S. physician and researcher, currently Henry R. Erle, M.D. - Roberts Family Professor of Medicine at Weill Medical College/M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. He additionally holds the positions there of Professor of Medicine in Cardiothoracic Surgery and Director of Cancer Prevention. He received a B.s. from Tufts University in 1978 and a M.D. from Washington University School of Medicine in 1982.
- AACR-Prevent Cancer Foundation Award for Excellence in Cancer Prevention Research, 2011
- Upjohn Achievement Award for scientific research
- American Liver Foundation Scholar Award and the
- International Life Sciences Research Foundation Award.
His current work deals with the role of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) in cancer., He has previously been one of the three lead investigators of a major study on the role of aspirin in the prevention of breast cancer.
According to Web of Science, he has published over 200 peer-reviewed articles, of which 27 have cited over 100 times. The most cited are:
- "Cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression and tumor formation are blocked by sulindac in a murine model of familial adenomatous polyposis" by Boolbol SK, Dannenberg AJ, Chadburn A, in Cancer Research 56(11)2556-2560 (1996) Times Cited: 401
- "Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is up-regulated in human pancreatic cancer" by Tucker ON, Dannenberg AJ, Yang FK, et al. in Cancer Research 59 (5) 987-990 (1999)Times Cited: 386
- "Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is up-regulated in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck" by Chan G, Boyle JO, Yang EK, et al. in Cancer Research 59 (5) 991-994 (1999) Times Cited: 384
- "COX‐2 is expressed in human pulmonary, colonic, and mammary tumors" RA Soslow, AJ Dannenberg, D Rush, BM Woerner, KN. in Cancer: 89 ( 12) 2637-2645 (2000) Times Cited: 289
- COX-2: A New Target for Cancer Prevention and Treatment ed. by R. N. Dubois and A. J. Dannenberg Basel ; New York : Karger, 2003. ISBN 3-8055-7536-X
- The role of COX-2 carcinogenesis by Andrew J Dannenberg; Raymond N Dubois; Steven M Dubinett; Nasser K Altorki; et al. Philadelphia, PA : Saunders, 2004. OCLC: 66570293
- Peptic ulcer disease and other acid-related disorders by David Zakim; Andrew J Dannenberg Armonk, N.Y. : Academic Research Associates, 1991. ISBN 978-0-9629180-0-1
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-03. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "COX-2 Inhibitors for Cancer Prevention & Treatment: Research Roundup:" by Lindsey, Heather, Oncology Times
- "COX-2 Inhibitors: Cancer Trials Test New Uses for Pain Drug" by Jennifer Michalowski, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 24(4)April 2002, p 52-54
- "Researchers Plan To Continue To Study COX-2 Inhibitors in Cancer Treatment and Prevention" by Cori Vanchieri. JNCI Spectrum (with portrait)
- "Women who regularly take aspirin at lower risk of breast cancer", Women's Health News, Monday, 31-May-2004
- Andrew Jess Dannenberg - homepage at Cornell university