Lambo with the Great Lakes Loons in 2008
August 11, 1988 |
Newbury Park, California
|August 13, 2013, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||3|
Los Angeles Dodgers
Lambo was selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 4th round of the 2007 MLB Draft out of Newbury Park High School. He played for the Gulf Coast Dodgers in 2007, and the Great Lakes Loons and Jacksonville Suns in 2008. He was selected as Midwest League All-Star Outfielder in 2008 while with the Loons. In 2009 & 2010, while with the Double-A Chattanooga Lookouts, BaseballAmerica.com rated him as the organization's top rated prospect of 2009. He was selected to represent the Lookouts at the 2009 Southern League mid-season All-Star game. On May 1, 2010, Lambo was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball for testing positive for a banned substance, quantified as a "drug of abuse." On July 31, 2010, he was traded (along with pitcher James McDonald) to the Pittsburgh Pirates for reliever Octavio Dotel.
Lambo hit for the cycle on April 8, 2013, the first cycle in Altoona Curve history. After he hit .284 with 24 doubles, 5 triples, 31 home runs and 97 RBI in 117 games split between Altoona and Indianapolis, the Pirates announced on August 12, 2013 that Lambo would be called up to Major League Baseball for the first time on August 13. He was optioned back to Indianapolis on August 18, and recalled on August 24. On September 28, 2013, Lambo hit his first career home run, a pinch-hit home run in the 6th inning against Cincinnati Reds pitcher Logan Ondrusek, the 6th home run hit by the Pirates that day. After the season, Lambo earned the organization's Minor League Player of the Year award after his 32 home runs ranked fourth among all minor league players. Lambo played winter baseball in Venezuela and played first base to prepare for the upcoming season.
Lambo was claimed off waivers by the Oakland Athletics on November 6, 2015.
- Price, Ed. (2009-01-30) Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: Los Angeles Dodgers: Top 10 Prospects. BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-20.
- Dodgers' Lambo suspended 50 games. Sports.espn.go.com (2010-05-01). Retrieved on 2012-08-20.
- Bucs recast bullpen to build depth elsewhere | pirates.com: News. Pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com (2010-07-31). Retrieved on 2012-08-20.
- "Pirates prospect Lambo thriving with 2nd chance". TribLIVE.com.
- "Lambo cycles into Altoona history". milb.com.
- "Pirates to call up heavy hitting prospect Lambo". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- PIT@CIN: Lambo hits his first Major League home run. YouTube. September 30, 2013.
- "Pirates' Andrew Lambo upping his game as he moves upward". Pittsburgh Pirates.
- "Lambo: Looking Forward To Proving Himself". cbslocal.com.