Andrew M. Stuart
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Andrew M. Stuart is a British mathematician, working in applied and computational mathematics. In particular his research has focused on the numerical analysis of dynamical systems, applications of stochastic ordinary and partial differential equations, Bayesian inverse problems and data assimilation.
He has won numerous awards, including the 1989 Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis, the Monroe H. Martin Prize from IPST Maryland, the SIAM James Wilkinson Prize and Germund Dahlquist Prize in 1997, the Whitehead Prize from the London Mathematical Society in 2000, and the J.D. Crawford Prize in 2007. He has been an invited speaker at the International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM) in Zurich, 2007, and at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) in Seoul, 2014.
Education and career
Andrew Stuart graduated in Mathematics from Bristol University in 1983, and then obtained his DPhil from the Oxford University Computing Laboratory in 1986. After postdoctoral study in applied mathematics at MIT, he held permanent positions at the University of Bath (1989-1992), in mathematics, at Stanford University (1991-1999), in engineering, and at Warwick University (1999-2016), in mathematics. He is currently a Professor in Computing and Mathematical Sciences at California Institute of Technology.
In addition to published mathematics research in archival journals, Andrew Stuart is also the author of several books in mathematics, including a research monograph concerning Dynamical Systems and Numerical Analysis, a research text on Multiscale Methods, a graduate text on Continuum Mechanics, and a research text on Data Assimilation.
- Stuart, A.M.; Humphries, A.R. (1996), Dynamical Systems and Numerical Analysis, Cambridge University Press
- Stuart, A.M.; Pavliotis, G.A. (2008), Multiscale Methods: Averaging and Homogenization, Springer
- Gonzalez, O.; Stuart, A.M. (2008), A First Course in Continuum Mechanics, Cambridge University Press
- Law, K.J.H.; Stuart, A.M.; Zygalakis, K.C. (2015), Data Assimilation: A Mathematical Introduction, Springer
Andrew Stuart has worked with a large number of collaborators, including a significant number of PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- Web page at Warwick University
- Andrew M. Stuart at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- SIAM Germund Dahlquist Prize
- SIAM James Wilkinson Prize
- IPST Awards
- LMS Whitehead Prize
- Postdoctoral Fellows
- Ph.D. Students
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|