Andrew M. Stuart
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Andrew M. Stuart
|Alma mater||University of Bristol|
Andrew M. Stuart is a British mathematician, working in applied and computational mathematics. In particular his research has focused on the numerical analysis of dynamical systems, applications of stochastic ordinary and partial differential equations, Bayesian inverse problems, and data assimilation.
Career and research
After postdoctoral research in applied mathematics at MIT, Stuart held permanent positions at the University of Bath (1989-1992), in mathematics, at Stanford University (1991-1999), in engineering, and at Warwick University (1999-2016), in mathematics. He is currently a Professor in Computing and Mathematical Sciences at the California Institute of Technology.
Honours and awards
He has won numerous awards, including the 1989 Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis, the Monroe H. Martin Prize from IPST Maryland, the SIAM James Wilkinson Prize, the Germund Dahlquist Prize in 1997, the Whitehead Prize from the London Mathematical Society in 2000, and the J.D. Crawford Prize in 2007. He has been an invited speaker at the International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM) in Zurich, 2007, and at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) in Seoul, 2014.
In addition to mathematics research published in archival journals, Stuart is also the author of several books in mathematics, including a research monograph concerning Dynamical Systems and Numerical Analysis, a research text on Multiscale Methods, a graduate text on Continuum Mechanics, and a research text on Data Assimilation.
- Stuart, A.M.; Humphries, A.R. (1996), Dynamical Systems and Numerical Analysis, Cambridge University Press
- Stuart, A.M.; Pavliotis, G.A. (2008), Multiscale Methods: Averaging and Homogenization, Springer
- Gonzalez, O.; Stuart, A.M. (2008), A First Course in Continuum Mechanics, Cambridge University Press
- Law, K.J.H.; Stuart, A.M.; Zygalakis, K.C. (2015), Data Assimilation: A Mathematical Introduction, Springer, arXiv:1506.07825
Andrew Stuart has worked with a large number of collaborators, including a significant number[quantify] of Ph.D. students and postdoctoral researchers.
- "Outstanding scientists elected as Fellows and Foreign Members of the Royal Society". The Royal Society. 29 April 2020. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Curriculum Vitae: Andrew Stuart" (PDF). University of Warwick.
- "J.D. Crawford Prize". SIAM. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Andrew Stuart". The Royal Society. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- Stuart & Humphries 1996.
- Stuart & Pavliotis 2008.
- Gonzalez & Stuart 2008.
- Law, Stuart & Zygalakis 2015.