Born in Beckenham, United Kingdom, Manze read Classics at Cambridge University. Manze studied violin and worked with Ton Koopman (his director in the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra) and Simon Standage (his teacher in the Royal Academy of Music). He began his musical career as a specialist in Early Music, and has recorded commercially as a soloist for such labels as Harmonia Mundi. He became associate director of The Academy of Ancient Music in 1996.
From 2003 to 2007, he was artistic director of The English Concert, with whom he recorded commercially for Harmonia Mundi. He has also conducted commercial recordings on labels such as Onyx and Pentatone. Manze was associate guest conductor of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra (BBC SSO) from September 2010 to August 2014, and recorded with the BBC SSO for Hyperion.
Outside of the UK, from 2006 to 2014, Manze was principal conductor and artistic director of the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra. He made a number of recordings with them, including Beethoven's Symphony No 3 (Harmonia Mundi), Stenhammar Piano Concerti (Hyperion), and a cycle of the Brahms symphonies (CPO). In September 2014, he became principal conductor of the NDR Radiophilharmonie. In March 2017, the orchestra announced the extension of Manze's contract through to 2021. In February 2019, the orchestra announced a further extension of Manze's contract to 2023.
Manze has been a fellow of the Royal Academy of Music and a Visiting Professor at the Oslo Academy. He has contributed to new editions of sonatas and concertos by Mozart and Bach published by Bärenreiter and Breitkopf and Härtel. He also teaches, edits and writes about music, as well as broadcasting regularly on radio and television. In 2011, Manze received the Rolf Schock Prize.
- Vaughan Williams, Symphonies Nos 2 & 8 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra ONYZ 4155 (2016)
- Mendelssohn - Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3. NDR Radiophilharmonie. PENTATONE PTC 5186595 (2017).
- Mozart - Piano Concerti Nos. 25 & 26 Francesco Piemontesi (piano) Scottish Chamber Orchestra Linn Records (2017).
- Elgar & Tchaikovsky. Johannes Moser, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. PENTATONE PTC 5186570 (2017).
- Vaughan Williams Symphonies Nos 3 & 4 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra ONYX 4161 (2017)
- Vaughan Williams Symphonies No 5 & 6 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic ONYX 4184 (2018)
- Mendelssohn - Symphonies Nos 4 & 5. NDR Radiophilharmonie. PENTATONE PTC 5186611 (2018).
- Mendelssohn - Symphony No 2. Anna Lucia Richter, Esther Dierkes, Robin Tritschler , NDR Radiophilharmonie, WDR Rundfunkchor Köln, NDR Chor. PENTATONE PTC 5186639 (2018).
- Andrew Clements (28 February 2003). "Corelli: Violin Sonatas Op 5: Manze/Egarr". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Andrew Clements (28 August 2003). "Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik K525; Adagio & Fugue in C minor K546 etc: English Concert/ Manze". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Andrew Clements (30 March 2007). "Handel: Arias & Scenes for Tenor; Padmore/ Crowe/ Blaze/ English Concert/ Manze". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Fiona Maddocks (24 April 2016). "Vaughan Williams: Symphonies Vol 1 review – warm and lustrous". The Observer. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Fiona Maddocks (2 April 2017). "Vaughan Williams: A Pastoral Symphony, Symphony No 4 CD review – raw splendour". The Observer. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Erica Jeal (23 March 2017). "Johannes Moser: Elgar and Tchaikovsky CD review – mercurial and impulsive". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Stephen Pritchard (17 August 2013). "Dubois: Piano Concertos – review". The Observer. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Nicholas Kenyon (5 May 2012). "Brahms: Symphonies 1-4, Overtures, Variations on a theme of Haydn – review". The Observer. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "NDR Radiophilharmonie: Andrew Manze wird ab 2014 neuer Chefdirigent". NDR. 25 March 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Andrew Manze verlängert Vertrag". NDR. 21 March 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Andrew Manze bleibt bis 2023 Chefdirigent". NDR. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- Intermusica agency biography of Andrew Manze
- Michael Cookson, "'If a reviewer doesn't like the work I did, I just have to accept that': Conductor Andrew Manze talks to Michael Cookson in Munich". MusicWeb International blog, 10 January 2010
- Hartmut Welscher, "The Antidote". VAN Magazine, 10 May 2019
| Artistic Director, The English Concert
| Chief Conductor, Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra
Eivind Gullberg Jensen
| Chief Conductor, NDR Radiophilharmonie