Manze was born in Beckenham, United Kingdom and read Classics at Cambridge University. Manze studied violin and worked with Ton Koopman. He began his musical career as a specialist in Early Music. He became Associate Director of The Academy of Ancient Music in 1996 and then Artistic Director of The English Concert from 2003 to 2007.
In September 2014 he took up the position of Principal Conductor of the NDR Radio Philharmonic Orchestra in Hannover. Between 2006 and 2014 he was Principal Conductor and Artistic Director of the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra in Sweden. He made a number of recordings with them including Beethoven’s Eroica (Harmonia Mundi) and Stenhammar Piano Concerti (Hyperion) and a cycle of the Brahms’ symphonies. Manze was Associate Guest Conductor of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra from September 2010 to August 2014.
As a guest conductor Manze has regular relationships with a number of leading international orchestras including the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Munich Philharmonic, Royal Stockholm Philharmonic, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Gothenburg Symphony, City of Birmingham Symphony, Mahler Chamber Orchestra and the Scottish and Swedish Chamber Orchestras. Manze’s recent and future debuts include New York Philharmonic, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, and London Philharmonic Orchestra and from 2015 to 2019 with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra he is to record a complete cycle of the Vaughan Williams symphonies.
Manze is a fellow of the Royal Academy of Music and a Visiting Professor at the Oslo Academy and has contributed to new editions of sonatas and concertos by Mozart and Bach published by Bärenreiter and Breitkopf and Härtel. He also teaches, edits and writes about music, as well as broadcasting regularly on radio and television.
- "A Conversation with Early Music Master Andrew Manze". www.allthingsstrings.com. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- Corbett, John. "Andrew Manze with the Academy of Ancient Music". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- NDR. "NDR Radiophilharmonie: Andrew Manze wird ab 2014 neuer Chefdirigent". ndr.de.
- "Helsingborgs konserthus". helsingborgskonserthus.se.
- "'If a reviewer doesn't like the work I did, I just have to accept that': Conductor Andrew Manze talks to Michael Cookson in Munich (MC)". www.musicweb-international.com. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Artist - Andrew Manze". Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "Artist - Andrew Manze". intermusica.co.uk.
- "Andrew Manze named 2011 Rolf Schock Prize laureate in Musical Arts". Intermusica. 2011. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
|This article about a British classical musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|