|Dean and President |
Berkeley Divinity School
|Assumed office |
1 August 2014
|Preceded by||Joseph H. Britton|
|Warden of Trinity College |
University of Melbourne
|Preceded by||Donald Markwell|
|Succeeded by||Ken Hinchcliff|
Andrew Brian McGowan
1961 (age 57–58)
|Education||Christ Church Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University of Western Australia |
Trinity College Theological School, Melbourne
University of Notre Dame
|Church||Anglican Church of Australia|
|Canon of St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne (2007–2014)|
Andrew Brian McGowan (born 1961) is an Australian scholar of early Christianity and an Anglican priest. He is McFaddin Professor of Anglican Studies at Yale Divinity School and Dean and President of the Berkeley Divinity School at Yale.
Prior to appointment at Berkeley and Yale he was seventh Warden of Trinity College (University of Melbourne) 2007-14, and Joan F.W. Munro Professor of Historical Theology in the Trinity College Theological School, Melbourne, within the University of Divinity.
McGowan was born in Melbourne, moving to Perth as a teenager. He attended Christ Church Grammar School in Perth, and was an early member of the group that became The Triffids. He then studied classics and ancient history at the University of Western Australia (BA Hons 1983). He studied theology at Trinity College (BD (Hons) 1986) in Melbourne. After ordination he served a curacy in Como/Manning before appointment as Rector of Forrestfield in 1988. He then undertook doctoral studies in Christianity and Judaism in Antiquity at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, United States (MA, PhD, 1996), where he was supervised by Harold W. Attridge.
On his return to Australia in 1996, McGowan was Lecturer in New Testament and Early Christianity at the University of Notre Dame Australia in Fremantle. In 1998 he was appointed Assistant Professor in Early Christian History at the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, being promoted to Associate Professor in 1999.
He returned to Trinity College as director of its Theological School in 2003. After serving as acting warden in 2005 and 2006, he was appointed seventh Warden of Trinity College in January 2007. In October 2012, he was elected one of the ten Foundation Professors of the MCD University of Divinity, Australia’s first specialist university. During this time he was a member of Chapter (i.e., Canon) at St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne and a clerical member of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Australia.
In July 2014, McGowan returned to the United States to succeed Joseph H. Britton in the post of Dean and President of the Berkeley Divinity School at Yale and Associate Dean for Anglican Studies at Yale Divinity School. He was also appointed J. L. Caldwell McFaddin and Rosine B. McFaddin Professor of Anglican Studies by the President and Fellows of Yale University from July 2014.
His research interests centre on ancient Christianity, especially the Eucharist, sacrifice, food and meals in antiquity, early North African Christianity, and on Anglican theology. He has also been a commentator on aspects of higher education and religion in contemporary society, including such forums as the ABC’s The Drum, the news column of the Biblical Archaeology Society called "Bible History Daily" and SkyNews.
- Ancient and Modern: Anglican Essays on the Bible, the Church, and the World (Portland, Or. and Melbourne, Australia: Wipf & Stock, and Morning Star), 2015.
- Ancient Christian Worship: Early Church Practices in Social, Historical, and Theological Perspective (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2014).
- "Tertullian, Paul, and Christology" in Todd D. Still and David E. Wilhite (eds), Tertullian & Paul (New York: Bloomsbury, 2013), pp. 1–15
- Method and Meaning: Essays on New Testament Interpretation in Honor of Harold W. Attridge, ed. Andrew B. McGowan and Kent Harold Richards (Leiden: Brill, 2012)
- "Eucharist and Sacrifice: Cultic Tradition and Transformation in Early Christian Ritual Meals" in M. Klinghardt and H. Taussig (eds), Mahl und religiöse Identität im frühen Christentum: Meals and Religious Identity in Early Christianity, TANZ 56 (Tübingen: Francke, 2012), pp. 191–206
- "The Ancient Limits of Modern Religion: Perpetua, Augustine and the Construction of the Secular", Pacifica 23 (2010): 267-80
- "God in Early Latin Theology: Tertullian and the Trinity" in Andrew B. McGowan, Brian E. Daley SJ, and Timothy J. Gaden (eds), God in Early Christian Thought: Essays in Memory of Lloyd G. Patterson (Leiden: Brill, 2009), pp. 61–83
- "Tertullian and the ‘Heretical’ Origins of the ‘Orthodox’ Trinity," Journal of Early Christian Studies 14 (2006): 437–57
- "Food, Ritual, and Power" in Virginia Burrus (ed.), A People’s History of Christianity 2: Late Ancient Christianity (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2005), pp. 145–64
- Ascetic Eucharists: Food and Drink in Early Christian Ritual Meals (Oxford: Clarendon, 1999)
- Andrew McGowan Appointed Dean, accessed 12 Aug. 2014.
- "MCD University of Divinity Appoints its First Professors" Archived 21 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 1 June 2013
- Contributors to The Drum
- Professor Andrew McGowan discusses the appointment of Pope Francis