Andrew Michael Hurley
Andrew Michael Hurley (born 1975) is a British writer whose debut novel, The Loney, was published in a limited edition of 278 copies on 1 October 2014 by Tartarus Press and was published under Hodder and Stoughton's John Murray imprint in 2015 (ISBN 9781473619821). He was interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Open Book programme "British Gothic" in October 2015.
The Loney has been reviewed in The Guardian and The Telegraph. It is set in the area of Morecambe Bay in north west England, described in the text as "that strange nowhere between the Wyre and the Lune". Hurley has said that the novel's two starting points were "to write a kind of dark version of the Nativity [...] and exploring ideas of faith and belief" and "various wild, lonely places on the north west coast of Lancashire [...] a sense of imminent menace or dormant power lying just under the sand and the water". It is the winner of the 2015 Costa Book Awards First Novel Award as well as the British Book Industry award for best debut fiction and book of the year.
Hurley has previously had two volumes of short stories published by the Lime Tree Press (Cages and Other Stories, 2006, ISBN 9781411699021, and The Unusual Death of Julie Christie and Other Stories, 2008, ISBN 9780955981401). He lives in Lancashire, where he teaches English literature and creative writing.
- "The Loney: Linked Data". Worldcat. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley". Tartarus Press. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Authors: Andrew Michael Hurley". Hodder and Stoughton. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "The Loney". Hodder & Stoughton. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Open Book: British Gothic". Radio 4. BBC. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- Perry, Sarah (28 August 2015). "The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley review – a gothic masterpiece". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- Martin, Tim (8 September 2015). "The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley, review: 'haunted and haunting'". The Telegraph. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "About the author: Andrew Michael Hurley". Foyles. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- 2015 Costa Award Winners
- Flood, Alison (9 May 2016). "Debut novel The Loney wins book of the year at British Book Industry awards". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Cowdrey, Katherine (2 February 2017). "New Andrew Michael Hurley novel called Devil's Day". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Cowdrey, Katherine (18 August 2017). "Yorkshire indie to publish limited edition of Hurley's next novel". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "About the author: Andrew Michael Hurley". Foyles. Retrieved 15 October 2015. Includes questions and answers, with a link to an extract from "The Loney"
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|