Andrew J. Nathan
|Andrew J. Nathan|
Andrew J. Nathan
April 3, 1943 |
|Residence||New York City|
|Other names||Li Anyou (黎安友)|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Occupation||Scholar, writer, professor|
|Awards||Berlin Prize (2013)|
Andrew J. Nathan (Chinese: 黎安友; pinyin: Lí Ānyǒu; born 3 April 1943) is a professor of political science at Columbia University. He specializes in Chinese politics, foreign policy, human rights and political culture. Nathan attended Harvard University, where he earned a B.A. in history, an M.A. in East Asian Studies, and a Ph.D. in Political Science. He has taught at Columbia University since 1971, and currently serves as the chair of the steering committee for the Center for the Study of Human Rights. His previous appointments include as the chair of the Department of Political Science (2003–2006), and chair of the Weatherhead East Asian Institute (1991–1995).
Nathan also serves as an advisor or board member with Freedom House, Human Rights in China, the National Endowment for Democracy and Human Rights Watch Asia and is a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Democracy, China Quarterly, and the Journal of Contemporary China, among others. Nathan is perhaps best known as a co-author of the Tiananmen Papers, along with Perry Link.
- A History of the China International Famine Relief Commission. (Cambridge: East Asian Research Center, Harvard University; Harvard East Asian Monographs, 1965).
- Peking Politics, 1918-1923 : Factionalism and the Failure of Constitutionalism. (Berkeley: University of California Press, Michigan Studies on China, 1976). Reprinted: Ann Arbor, Mich.: Center for Chinese Studies, University of Michigan, 1998. ISBN 0520027841.
- Chinese Democracy. (New York: Knopf, 1985). ISBN 039451386X.
- with David G. Johnson and Evelyn Sakakida Rawski, ed., Popular Culture in Late Imperial China. (Berkeley: University of California Press, Studies on China, 1985). ISBN 0520051203.
- Human Rights in Contemporary China (1986)
- China's Crisis (1990)
- with Robert Ross, The Great Wall and the Empty Fortress: China's Search for Security (1997)
- China's Transition (1997)
- with Perry Link, The Tiananmen Papers (2001)
- Negotiating Culture and Human Rights: Beyond Universalism and Relativism (2001)
- with Bruce Gilley, China's New Rulers: The Secret Files (2002, second edition 2003)
- Constructing Human Rights in the Age of Globalization (2003)
- How East Asians View Democracy (2008)
- with Robert Ross, The Great Wall and the Empty Fortress, second edition (2009)
- with Andrew Scobell. China's Search for Security. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2012). ISBN 0231140509.
- WorldCat Identity Page Andrew J. Nathan
- Andrew J. Nathan at the American Academy Berlin as Axel Springer Fellow
- Columbia University, Faculty Bio: Andrew J. Nathan
- Freedom House, 'Board of Trustees: Andrew Nathan' Archived November 4, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.,
- Andrew J. Nathan, Columbia University, Weatherhead East Asia Institute.
- Journal of Democracy, 'Editorial Board' Archived November 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine., accessed 11-19-11.
- Cambridge Journals Online, 'The China Quarterly: Editorial Board', accessed 11-19-11.