Andrew Nikiforuk is a Canadian journalist who has won multiple National Magazine Awards. His work has appeared in Saturday Night, Maclean's, Canadian Business, Report on Business, Chatelaine, Alberta Views, Equinox, Alternatives Journal and Canadian Family, and in both national newspapers. In 1990 the Toronto Star newspaper awarded him an Atkinson Fellowship in Public Policy to study AIDS and the failure of public health policy. His books include Pandemonium; Fourth Horseman; Saboteurs: Wiebo Ludwig's War Against Oil, which won the Governor General's Award in 2002; and Tar Sands: Dirty Oil and the Future of a Continent, which won the Rachel Carson Environment Book Award for 2008-09 from the Society of Environmental Journalists.
In 2010, he became the Tyee's first writer in residence.
- School's Out: The Catastrophe in Public Education and What We Can Do About It, Macfarlane Walter & Ross, 1993, Hardcover, 207 pages, 978-0-92191-248-4
- Fourth Horseman: A Short History of Epidemics, Plagues, Famines & Other Scourges, Viking Canada, 1991, Hardcover, 200 pages, 978-0-67083-122-7
- Saboteurs: Wiebo Ludwig's War Against Big Oil, Macfarlane, Walter & Ross, 2002, Paperback, 296 pages, 978-1-55199-101-6
- Pandemonium: Bird Flu, Mad Cow Disease and Other Biological Plagues of the 21st Century, Viking Canada (AHC), Hardcover, 320 pages, 978-0-67004-519-8
- Tar Sands: Dirty Oil and the Future of a Continent, Greystone Books, April 2010, paperback, 208 pages, ISBN 978-1-55365-555-8
- Empire of the Beetle: How Human Folly and a Tiny Bug Are Killing North America's Great Forests, Greystone Books, August 2011, paperback, 240 pages, ISBN 978-1-55365-510-7
- The Energy of Slaves: Oil and the New Servitude, Greystone Books, September 2012, hardcover, 296 pages, ISBN 978-1-55365-978-5
- Nikiforuk, Andrew (2015). Slick Water: Fracking and One Insider's Stand Against the World's Most Powerful Industry. Vancouver: Greystone Books. ISBN 978-1-77164-076-3.
- "4 awards and a total of citations and nominations for the National Magazine Awards". Archived from the original on 2012-02-07. Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- McClelland.com, publishers
- Atkinson Foundation website Archived April 7, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Quill and Quire announcement of the winners of the Governor General's Award for 2002[permanent dead link]
- Winners: SEJ 8th Annual Awards for Reporting on the Environment, Society of Environmental Journalists, 2009, retrieved 2014-05-27
- Andrew Nikiforuk's website at www.andrewnikiforuk.com
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|