This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Performing "Andrew O'Neill's Totally Spot-On History of British Industry" in 2008
14 September 1979|
Portsmouth, England, UK
Andrew O'Neill (born 14 September 1979) is a comedian, musician, presenter, and writer. He lives in London.
Born in Portsmouth in 1979, O'Neill grew up in the London suburban town of Wallington. He has two brothers, Steve and David. He did his first comedy performance at the age of ten, and started his stand-up career on 16 January 2002, at the Laughing Horse, Camden. He since has gone on to perform in comedy clubs, theatres and music festivals throughout the UK, Australia, US and Europe.
Andrew is a regular on the comedy stage at Download, played to 5,500 people at Sonisphere, opened for Amanda Palmer from The Dresden Dolls, and has performed at comedy festivals in Adelaide, Melbourne and Wellington. He has a column in Terrorizer magazine.
In 2017 he published his first book, A History of Heavy Metal. It was described by Alan Moore as "a comprehensive landmark analysis of an enormous area of music that has been too long without such a thing, and has the massive advantage of the funny being turned up to twelve. A loud and thoroughly engrossing love-story."
- ...Is Easily Distracted (2012)
- Alternative (2011) (UK & Australia tour)
- Andrew O'Neill (2010) (UK & Australia tour)
- Occult Comedian (2009) (UK & Australia tour)
- Andrew O'Neill's Totally Spot-On History of British Industry (2008)
- Futuristicelectrodeathninja9000 (2007)
- Winston Churchill was Jack the Ripper, the full account (2006)
- The Last Show Around (2005)
- Andrew O'Neill and James Sherwood, Apparently (2004)
- UK Tour September 2007 – October 2007 as special guest of Norman Lovett
- UK Tour January 2008 – July 2008, with Terry Saunders
- UK Tour September 2008 – June 2009, featuring special guest, former Creaming Jesus and current Giant Paw vocalist, Andy Heintz.
- UK & Australia Tour September 2010 – June 2011
- UK & Australia Tour September 2011 – February 2012
- UK & Australia Tour March 2012 – November 2012
Radio and television
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks, BBC 2
- Saxondale (with Steve Coogan), BBC 2
- Good News Week, Ten (Australia)
- Spicks and Specks, ABC1 (Australia)
- Fags, Mags and Bags, BBC Radio 4
- The 7th Dimension, BBC Radio 4 Extra
- The Richard Bacon Show, BBC Radio 5 Live
- The Milk Run (with Josie Long, Alex Musson, Isy Suttie and Danielle Ward), BBC Radio 1
- Tom and Andrew Discuss, Resonance FM
- The Museum of Curiosity, BBC Radio 4 Extra
- The Blame Game, BBC One Northern Ireland
- Pharmacist Baffler (writer and performer), BBC Radio 4 Extra
- Best Comedy 2012, Adelaide Fringe Festival – Nominee
- Best Show 2012, Leicester Comedy Festival – Nominee
- Best Comedy Performance 2011, Buxton Fringe – Nominee
- Best Comedy Performance 2010, Buxton Fringe – Nominee
- Chortle Award for Breakthrough Act 2009 – Nominee
- Donaldson, Brian (12 January 2011). "Andrew O'Neill – Quite possibly the only cross-dressing vegan occultist on the stand-up circuit". The List. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "About Andrew". andrewoneill.co.uk. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "A History of Heavy Metal". Headline. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Andrew O'Neill: Pharmacist Baffler". BBC Radio 4 Extra. Retrieved 17 December 2017.