Andrew Orr-Ewing at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2017
Andrew John Orr-Ewing
1965 (age 53–54)
|Education||Dr Challoner's Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (MA, DPhil)|
|Institutions||University of Bristol|
|Thesis||Laser studies of reaction dynamics (1991)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gus Hancock|
Andrew John Orr-Ewing (born 1965) FRS FRSC is a British chemist and Professor of physical chemistry at the University of Bristol. His work investigates the mechanisms of chemical reaction in both the gas and liquid phases and has used ultrafast laser spectroscopy to observe the effects of solvents on molecular reaction and the dynamics of photodissociation.
Orr-Ewing educated at Dr Challoner's Grammar School and awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree by the University of Oxford.[when?] In 1991 he was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree in physical chemistry for research supervised by Gus Hancock, also at the University of Oxford.
Career and research
Following his PhD, Orr-Ewing did two years of post-doctoral research supervised by Richard Zare at Stanford University in California, and was then a Royal Society Elizabeth Challenor research fellow at the University of Bristol, where he was later appointed Professor of physical chemistry.[when?]
Awards and honours
Orr-Ewing has received awards from the Royal Society of Chemistry including the Edward Harrison Memorial Prize in 1994, the Marlow Medal in 1999, the Tilden Prize in 2009, and awards in optical spectroscopy in 2002 and chemical dynamics in 2014. He was a Leverhulme Trust senior research fellow in 2005, and received a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award from 2006 to 2011. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2017.
- Anon (2017) Orr-Ewing, Prof. Andrew John. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.289299. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- Andrew Orr-Ewing publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Anon (2017). "Professor Andrew Orr-Ewing FRS". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Andrew Orr-Ewing publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Andrew Orr-Ewing publications from Europe PubMed Central
- Orr-Ewing, Andrew John (1991). Laser studies of reaction dynamics. solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford. OCLC 53493953. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.302888.
- Orr-Ewing, A J; Zare, R N (1994). "Orientation and Alignment of Reaction Products". Annual Review of Physical Chemistry. 45 (1): 315–366. Bibcode:1994ARPC...45..315O. doi:10.1146/annurev.pc.45.100194.001531. ISSN 0066-426X.