Pagett at the 2011 Paul Hunter Classic
25 April 1982 |
|Nickname||The Welsh Wizard|
|Professional||2003–2005, 2008/09, 2010–2012, 2013–|
|Highest ranking||70 (June–July 2011, October 2011)|
|83 (as of 6 April 2015)|
|Highest break||112 (2010 MIUS Cup)|
|Best ranking finish||Last 32 (2011 World Championship, 2014 Welsh Open, 2015 Indian Open)|
Andrew Pagett (born 25 April 1982) is a Welsh professional snooker player.
He played on Challenge Tour from 2003 to 2005, and first qualified for the Main Tour in 2008/2009, but lost his place after just one season. He regained his place for the 2010/2011 season by topping the Welsh rankings. He is a practice partner of Mark Williams.
Pagett qualified for the 2011 World Snooker Championship after winning four qualifying matches. He knocked out Zhang Anda, Bjorn Haneveer and Nigel Bond, before beating Andrew Higginson 10–6 to qualify for the final stages of a major event for the first time, where he was defeated 10–7 by Jamie Cope.
Pagett began the 2011/2012 season ranked 71st in the world meaning he would have to win four qualifying matches to reach the ranking event main draws. However, after attempting to qualify for all eight tournaments he only managed to win two matches; one at the Australian Goldfields Open and the other at the German Masters. Pagett played in 11 of the 12 minor-ranking Players Tour Championship events throughout the season, with his best finishes coming in Event 4 and Event 9, where he reached the last 32. He was ranked number 82 on the PTC Order of Merit. Pagett finished the season without a world ranking and will not play on the main tour in the 2012/2013 season.
Pagett could only enter Players Tour Championship events in the 2012/2013 season, taking part in seven of them. His best finish came in the third European Tour event in Belgium, where he beat Raf van de Maele, Robbie Williams, Stuart Bingham, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh and former world champion Neil Robertson, before losing to Mark Allen 1–4 in the semi-finals. It was this result which largely contributed to him finishing 55th on the Order of Merit to claim one of the eight spots on offer to players not on the main tour for the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 seasons.
Pagett made a dream start to the season as in his first match he defeated world number one Mark Selby 5–3 to qualify for the 2013 Wuxi Classic in China where he lost 5–2 to David Gilbert in the first round. Later in the year he reached the last 32 of a ranking event for only the second time in his career at his home tournament the Welsh Open. Pagett beat Marcus Campbell 4–0 and Gerard Greene 4–3, before losing 4–0 to Stephen Maguire. Pagett ended his first season back on the tour ranked world number 103.
After losing in the qualifying rounds of the first three events of the 2014/2015 season, Pagett beat Rory McLeod 6–3 to play in the International Championship, where he lost 6–1 to Peter Ebdon. He was knocked out of the first round of both the UK Championship and Welsh Open 6–2 by Mike Dunn and 4–2 by McLeod respectively. Pagett's only win at the venue of a ranking this year was a 4–2 success over Zack Richardson at the Indian Open, before he lost 4–1 to Chris Wakelin in the second round. He will be relegated from the tour at the end of the season as he will finish it well outside the top 64 in the world rankings.
Performance and rankings timeline
|Ranking[nb 1]||UR[nb 2][nb 3]||UR[nb 3]||UR[nb 2]||UR[nb 2]||71||UR[nb 4]||UR[nb 2]||103|
|Wuxi Classic[nb 5]||Not Held||Non-Ranking||A||1R||LQ|
|Australian Goldfields Open||Not Held||LQ||A||LQ||LQ|
|Shanghai Masters||Not Held||LQ||LQ||LQ||A||LQ||LQ|
|International Championship||Not Held||A||LQ||1R|
|German Masters||Not Held||LQ||LQ||A||LQ||LQ|
|Indian Open||Not Held||LQ||2R|
|Players Championship Grand Final[nb 6]||Not Held||DNQ||DNQ||DNQ||DNQ||DNQ|
|China Open||Not Held||A||LQ||LQ||LQ||A||LQ||A|
|Variant format tournaments|
|Six-red World Championship[nb 7]||Not Held||A||1R||NH||A||1R||RR|
|Former ranking tournaments|
|Northern Ireland Trophy||Not Held||LQ||Not Held|
|Bahrain Championship||Not Held||LQ||Not Held|
|World Open[nb 8]||A||A||LQ||LQ||LQ||A||LQ||NH|
|Performance Table Legend|
|LQ||lost in the qualifying draw||#R||lost in the early rounds of the tournament
(WR = Wildcard round, RR = Round robin)
|QF||lost in the quarter-finals|
|SF||lost in the semi-finals||F||lost in the final||W||won the tournament|
|DNQ||did not qualify for the tournament||A||did not participate in the tournament||WD||withdrew from the tournament|
|NH / Not Held||means an event was not held.|
|NR / Non-Ranking Event||means an event is/was no longer a ranking event.|
|R / Ranking Event||means an event is/was a ranking event.|
|MR / Minor-Ranking Event||means an event is/was a minor-ranking event.|
- From the 2010/2011 season it shows the ranking at the beginning of the season.
- New players don't have a ranking.
- He was not on the Main Tour.
- He was an amateur.
- The event was called the Jiangsu Classic (2008/2009)
- The event was called the Players Tour Championship Grand Finals (2010/2011–2012/2013)
- The event was called the Six-red Snooker International (2008/2009)
- The event was called the LG Cup (2003/2004) and the Grand Prix (2004/2005–2009/2010)
- "The Big Interview: Andrew Pagett". Snooker Scene. 2011-04-12. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- "Rankings after PTC1 2011" (PDF). World Snooker. World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Issued after the Players Tour Championship 2011 – Event 7" (PDF). World Snooker. World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Career-total Statistics for Andrew Pagett - Professional". CueTracker Snooker Results & Statistics Database. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "Pagett thanks Mark Williams after qualifying success". BBC Sport (BBC). 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "Rankings after 2011 World Championship" (PDF). worldsnooker.com. World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Andrew Pagett 2011/2012". Snooker.org. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Order of Merit". Snooker.org. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Official World Ranking List for the 2012/2013 Season" (PDF). Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Andrew Pagett 2012/2013". Snooker.org. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Order of Merit 2012/2013". Snooker.org. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Mark Selby suffers Wuxi Classic defeat by Andrew Pagett". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Andrew Pagett 2013/2014". Snooker.org. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "World Snooker Rankings After the 2014 World Championship" (PDF). World Snooker. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Andrew Pagett 2014/2015". Snooker.org. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Ranking History". Snooker.org. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Andrew Pagett at CueTracker.net: Snooker Results and Statistic Database
- Profile on World Snooker
- Profile on Global Snooker
- Profile on Pro Snooker Blog