Quarless with the Green Bay Packers
|No. 49 Detroit Lions|
|Date of birth:||October 6, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Brooklyn, New York|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||252 lb (114 kg)|
|High school:||Uniondale (NY)|
|NFL draft:||2010 / Round: 5 / Pick: 154|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
Andrew Christopher Quarless (born October 6, 1988) is an American football tight end for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Penn State. Quarless was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
Andrew Quarless attended Turtle Hook Junior High School in Uniondale , N.Y. then received a scholarship to Holy Trinity High School on Long Island until his junior year when he transferred to Uniondale High School. It was there that he had his greatest season before entering Penn State. After winning the Super Bowl he returned to Uniondale where he was honored by Uniondale Ave being renamed "Andrew Quarless Way."
Quarless had a breakout season as a true freshman in 2006. He was pushed into Joe Paterno in a game against Wisconsin, which broke Paterno's leg. Success in the 2007 season was limited due to suspensions and loss of his starting position at tight end to Mickey Shuler, Jr. Quarless saw limited playing time in 2008 until the Illinois game when he started in the place of an injured Shuler and caught a key 4th-quarter touchdown. He made the game-winning catch in the 2010 East-West Shrine Game.
Green Bay Packers
Quarless was selected in the fifth round (154th overall) by the Green Bay Packers in the 2010 NFL Draft. He scored his first NFL career touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings. At the end of the 2010 regular season he had picked up 238 yards. He had 21 receptions averaging 11.3 yards per catch. In 2011, he had three receptions for 36 yards and was the primary backup to Jermichael Finley. His role was a blocker. He suffered a season-ending knee injury in a 4th quarter kickoff return in the 38-35 win against the New York Giants on Sunday December 4, 2011. He was placed on injured reserve the following week. Quarless sat out the entire 2012 season.
Quarless re-signed with the Packers on March 13, 2014. On September 20, 2014, Quarless was fined $8,268 for his role in an endzone brawl during the 31-24 victory over the New York Jets in Week 2. On September 28, 2015 during the Packers 38-28 win over the Kansas City Chiefs, Quarless suffered an injury, this time a MCL and he is expected to return when the Packers play the Chicago Bears on thanksgiving day. He was placed on temporary injured reserve on September 30, 2015. On January 15, 2016, Quarless was placed on injured reserve.
|2010||Green Bay Packers||13||3||21||238||11.3||23||1|
|2011||Green Bay Packers||10||2||3||36||12||21||0|
|2013||Green Bay Packers||16||10||32||312||9.8||22||2|
|2014||Green Bay Packers||16||11||29||323||11.1||34||3|
|2015||Green Bay Packers||5||1||4||31||7.8||13||0|
|2010||Green Bay Packers||4||1||5||46||9.2||15||0|
|2013||Green Bay Packers||1||1||1||8||8.0||8||0|
|2014||Green Bay Packers||2||0||4||31||7.8||13||1|
|2015||Green Bay Packers||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
The "Macho Gun Incident"
On July 4, 2015, Quarless was arrested and charged with discharging a firearm in public in Miami Beach. Miami Beach Police were called by a parking attendant who witnessed Quarless' dispute and the firearm discharge who reported that Quarless and Michael Ritchie approached a white car filled with women. The attendant heard the women yell, "No! Get away! Leave me alone!"
Quarless then took out a semiautomatic handgun and fired two shots. One woman felt that Quarless did this "in an attempt to emphasize his dominance and manhood." Quarless was discovered by police, along with his handgun, attempting to hide in bushes in front of a nearby tavern. Bullets found at the scene of the crime matched the gun Quarless was found with.
- "10 Andrew Quarless". Pennsylvania State University. Archived from the original on 14 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- Fittipaldo, Ray (2006-11-05). "Paterno". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "Penn St. tight end Andrew Quarless suspended for unspecified violation". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2008-09-27.
- "Penn State remains unbeaten, tops Illinois, 38-24". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "National Football League: NFL Draft 2010 - Andrew Quarless". NFL.com. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Demovsky, Rob (March 13, 2014). "Andrew Quarless re-signs with Pack". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- "TE Andrew Quarless placed on injured reserve". www.packers.com. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- "Lions sign TE Andrew Quarless and LB Dominique Tovell". DetroitLions.com. August 15, 2016. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Patra, Kevin (July 4, 2015). "Packers TE Andrew Quarless arrested for firing gun". NFL.com. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- Demovsky, Rob (August 12, 2016). "Former Packers TE Andrew Quarless suspended two games". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andrew Quarless.|