Andrew R. George
Andrew R. George (born 1955) is a British academic best known for his edition and translation of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Andrew George is Professor of Babylonian, Department of the Languages and Cultures of Near and Middle East at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
Andrew George studied Assyriology at the University of Birmingham (1973–79). In 1985 he presented his doctoral thesis, Babylonian Topographic Texts, at the University of London under the direction of Professor Wilfred G. Lambert. Since 1983 he has been a Lecturer in Akkadian and Sumerian Language and Literature at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. Afterwards he started teaching Babylonian Language and Literature at that University.
He has been elected Honorary Member of the American Oriental Society (2012). He is a former Visiting Professor at the Heidelberg University (2000), Member of the prestigious Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton (2004-2005) and Research Associate at Rikkyo University, Tokyo (2009).
- House Most High: The Temples of Ancient Mesopotamia (Mesopotamian Civilizations, Vol 5), Eisenbrauns, 1993, ISBN 0-931464-80-3
- The Epic of Gilgamesh: A new translation, 228pp, Penguin Classics (UK), (2000) ISBN 0-14-044721-0.
- The Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic: Critical Edition and Cuneiform Texts, 996pp, Oxford University Press (England) (2003) ISBN 0-19-814922-0.
- Babylonian Literary Texts (2009), Cuneiform Royal Inscriptions (2011), Babylonian Divinatory Texts (2013) and Assyrian Archival Documents in the Schøyen Collection (2017), Capital Decisions Ltd.
- For seventeen years, Andrew R. George was co-editor of the archaeological journal Iraq (1994-2011).
- "Andrew George | SOAS University of London - Academia.edu". soas.academia.edu. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Professor Andrew George". The British Academy. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- La epopeya de Gilgamesh. George, Andrew, Chueca, Fabián (1st ed.). [Barcelona]: Penguin Clásicos. 2015. ISBN 9788491050735. OCLC 933578180.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Professor Andrew R George | Staff | SOAS University of London". www.soas.ac.uk. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- University of London, staff
- BBC Radio 4 In Our Time, "The Epic of Gilgamesh". George on the panel with Frances Reynolds and Martin Worthington.
- Lecture on the Epic of Gilgamesh on the Harvard Semitic Museum YouTube Channel, uploaded 30 January 2017.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|