Andrew Mark Rosenthal
February 25, 1956
|Alma mater||University of Denver (BA)|
|The New York Times|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Beth Bierut (m. 1994)|
Andrew Mark Rosenthal (born February 25, 1956) is an American journalist and former editorial page editor of The New York Times. He is the son of A. M. Rosenthal, a longtime New York Times senior executive and executive editor.
While at The New York Times, he managed the paper's opinion pages, their editorial board, and the Letters and Op-Ed departments. As the paper maintained separation between editorial and journalistic operations, Rosenthal reported directly to paper's publisher.
In March 2016, Rosenthal stepped down as editorial page editor after he had served in that role for over nine years. Rosenthal transitioned to become an online opinion columnist and podcast contributor for The New York Times.
Early life and education
Rosenthal was born in New Delhi, India. He is the son of Ann Marie (née Burke), a secretary, and A.M. Rosenthal, the former New York Times executive editor. His father was Jewish, and his mother was of Irish Catholic descent.
Rosenthal joined The New York Times in March 1987. In Washington, D.C., Rosenthal covered the Bush Administration, the 1988 and 1992 presidential elections, and the Gulf War. In 2000, he served as national editor, covering the 2000 United States presidential election.
He became editorial page editor on January 8, 2007, and he served in that role until April 2016, longer than any other editorial page editor in the modern history of The New York Times. Rosenthal's successor as editorial page editor was James Bennet.
- "Weddings – Mary Beth Bierut, Andrew Rosenthal". The New York Times. January 16, 1994.
- "Andrew Rosenthal Steps Down As Editorial Page Editor". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- ""I Know Exactly What They Need": An Ex-Times Editor Plans to Whip a Struggling Swedish Start-Up into Shape". 7 April 2021.
- Rosenthal, Andrew (2006-05-17). "Editorial Observer: I Never Wrote for My Father". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- McFadden, Robert D. (May 11, 2006). "A. M. Rosenthal, Editor of The Times, Dies at 84". The New York Times.
- Salisbury, H.E. (1980). Without Fear Or Favor: The New York Times and Its Times. The New York Times. ISBN 9780812908855. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "Membership Roster - Council on Foreign Relations". cfr.org. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Rosenthal, Andrew (July 24, 2009). "New York Times Editorial Page Editor Andrew Rosenthal". Conversations with Allan Wolper (Interview). Interviewed by Allan Wolper. WBGO.
- List of all current members of The New York Times editorial board, with capsule biographies
- Rosenthal moderates extended political discussion with David Brooks, Maureen Dowd and Frank Rich, The New York Times video, July 17, 2006
- Talk to the Times - Andrew Rosenthal answers readers' questions, The New York Times, September 24–28, 2007
- Appearances on C-SPAN