Andrew T. Berlin
Andrew T. Berlin (born June 30, 1960) is an American businessman, attorney, and philanthropist living in Chicago, Illinois. He is a Limited Partner of the Chicago White Sox Major League Baseball team and owner of the South Bend Silver Hawks Minor League Baseball team.
Berlin is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Berlin Packaging, a supplier of plastic, glass, and metal containers. His management of Berlin Packaging has been used as a case study in The Human Equation by Jeffrey Pfeffer. In 2011, Berlin Packaging reported sales of more than $600 million.
Berlin was born in Chicago, Illinois. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Syracuse University, followed by a Law degree from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 1986. At Loyola, Berlin served as Managing Editor of the Law Review.
In 1988, Berlin resigned from his job at a Chicago law firm and joined his father in a business venture to purchase Alco Packaging, later renamed Berlin Packaging, which is a North American hybrid packaging supplier of plastic, glass, metal containers and closures. At the time, the company earned $69 million in annual sales.
In November 2011, Berlin announced he had reached an agreement to purchase the South Bend Silver Hawks. He signed a 20 year cumulative lease agreement with the city of South Bend for the use of Stanley Coveleski Regional Stadium. The sale was approved by the Midwest League, Minor League and Major League Baseball and the Office of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball in early January 2012. On January 12, 2012, the financial and the legal transactions were completed and Berlin became the sole owner of the South Bend Silver Hawks.
Berlin serves on the Board of Directors for several nonprofit organizations, including the Chicago chapter of the American Cancer Society, Starlight Children's Foundation Midwest, and A Silver Lining Foundation. He serves on the Advisory Board of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University.
- Semmler, Ed (23 November 2011). "Silver Hawks have new ownership". South Bend Tribune.
- Pfeffer, Jeffrey (1998). The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First. Boston, Massachusetts: Harvard Business Press. p. 181. ISBN 978-0-87584-841-9.
- Grant, Lindsey (1 December 2005). "One on One: Andrew Berlin, Packaging perfection". All Business.
- Jones, Casey (23 November 2011). "Silver Hawks will be sold to Chicago Businessman". Fox28 News.
- "New Silver Hawks owner plans stadium upgrades". The Journal Gazette. Associated Press. 30 November 2011.
- Peterson, Mark (23 November 2011). "South Bend Silver Hawks sold but staying in town". WNDU News.
- "Donor Spotlight: Meet Andrew Berlin". NorthShore University HealthSystem. December 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Strum, Beckie (28 September 2010). "Donations for research at all-time high, see spike in past four years". The Daily Orange.
- "Board of Directors". Starlight Children’s Foundation Midwest.
- "Board of Directors". A Silver Lining Foundation.
- "Maxwell School of Syracuse University Advisory Board". Maxwell School of Syracuse Advisory Board.