Andrew Vaughn (baseball)
|Chicago White Sox|
|Born: April 3, 1998|
Santa Rosa, California
|Career highlights and awards|
Andrew Clayton Vaughn (born April 3, 1998) is an American professional baseball first baseman in the Chicago White Sox organization. He played college baseball at California. He was the third overall pick in the first round of the 2019 MLB draft.
High school and college career
Vaughn attended Maria Carrillo High School in Santa Rosa, California. He batted .380 with 29 doubles, three triples, one home run, 76 RBIs, 76 runs, 49 walks, 15 HBP and 15 strikeouts in 332 at bats in high school, and as a pitcher he was 17-6 with a 2.05 ERA and 166 strikeouts.
He enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley to play college baseball for the California Golden Bears. As a freshman, Vaughn played first base and made ten appearances as a pitcher. He hit 12 home runs while batting .349/.414/.555 and won the Pac-12 Conference Freshman of the Year Award. He played collegiate summer baseball in 2017 for the Victoria HarbourCats of the West Coast League. As a sophomore in 2018, Vaughn hit 23 home runs batting .402/.531/.819. Perfect Game/Rawlings named him their National Player of the Year, and he won the Pac-12 Conference Baseball Player of the Year Award and Golden Spikes Award. In 2018, his junior year, he hit .374/.539/.704 with 15 home runs and 50 RBIs in 52 games.
Considered a top prospect for the 2019 MLB draft, Vaughn was selected by the Chicago White Sox with the third overall pick. Vaughn was selected in the Draft along with six other Cal teammates. Vaughn signed with the White Sox for $7.2 million.
He was first assigned to the Rookie-level Arizona League White Sox, and was promoted to the Class A Kannapolis Intimidators after hitting .600/.625/.933 with a home run, two doubles, and four RBIs in three Arizona League games. Vaughn was promoted again to the Winston-Salem Dash of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League after batting .253/.388/.410 with two home runs, seven doubles, 11 RBIs, and 14 runs scored in 23 games with Kannapolis. With the Dash he batted .252/.349/.411.
- "Andrew Vaughn - Baseball - University of California Golden Bears Athletics". Calbears.com. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- "Andrew Vaughn High School Baseball Stats Maria Carrillo (Santa Rosa, CA)". MaxPreps. August 6, 2019. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- "Former Maria Carrillo baseball star Andrew Vaughn to train with national collegiate team". Pressdemocrat.com. June 13, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Simmons, Rusty (April 25, 2018). "Vaughn's big bat is part of sophomore's complete package". SFGate. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Yen, Ruey (June 29, 2018). "Cal sophomore Andrew Vaughn wins the Golden Spikes Award—Baseball's Heisman". CaliforniaGoldenBlogs.com. SB Nation.
- Cleve Dheensaw (June 13, 2017). "Slugging infielder Andrew Vaughn adds power to HarbourCats lineup". Timescolonist.com. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Knight, Heather. "Cal's Andrew Vaughn is Perfect Game/Rawlings Player of the Year". SFChronicle.com. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- "Maria Carrillo grad Andrew Vaughn a finalist for top college baseball award". Pressdemocrat.com. June 6, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- "Cal's Vaughn wins national award". SFGate. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- "Andrew Vaughn becomes Cal's first Golden Spikes winner". SFChronicle.com. June 29, 2018. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Harrigan, Thomas (June 28, 2019). "White Sox, top pick Vaughn have deal". MLB.com.
- JANIE MCCAULEY ASSOCIATED PRESS March 13, 2019 (March 13, 2019). "Carrillo grad Andrew Vaughn focused on Cal baseball, not MLB". Pressdemocrat.com. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- Duber, Vinnie (June 3, 2019). "White Sox choose Andrew Vaughn with No. 3 pick, add power bat to rebuild". NBC Sports Chicago.
- Delos Santos, Justice (July 6, 2019). "Cal baseball alumnus Andrew Vaughn earns early minor league promotion". The Daily Californian. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Mets score 3 in 9th, beat White Sox 4-2 for 6th straight win". The Southern Illinoisan. July 31, 2019. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Andrew Vaughn College, Amateur & Minor Leagues Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "USA Baseball Names Premier12 Roster". USA Baseball. October 10, 2019. Retrieved October 13, 2019.