Andrew Welsh (politician)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of the Scottish Parliament
6 May 1999 – 22 March 2011
|Preceded by||new constituency|
|Member of the UK Parliament
East Angus (1987–1997)
11 June 1987 – 7 June 2001
|Preceded by||Peter Fraser|
|Succeeded by||Michael Weir|
|Member of the UK Parliament
for South Angus
10 October 1974 – 3 May 1979
|Preceded by||Jock Bruce-Gardyne|
|Succeeded by||Peter Fraser|
|Born||19 April 1944 (aged 70)
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||Glasgow University|
|Religion||Church of Scotland|
House of Commons
Welsh was elected the first Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the Scottish Parliament constituency of Angus in May 1999. He was appointed to the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) during first years of the Parliament, when the various systems within the Parliament needed to be set up. He served on the SPCB until January 2006, making him the longest serving member of that body. Andrew Welsh retired as an MSP when his term ended on 22 March 2011 election.
From 1984 until 1987, he served as the Provost of Angus, the leader of Angus District Council and served on the Governing Court of the University of Dundee. Before being re-elected to the House of Commons at the 1987 General Election, he worked as a Senior Lecturer in Business Administration at Arbroath College in Angus.
- SNP spokesperson, local government, housing and education (1997–2005)
- SNP chief whip (1989–1997)
- SNP chief whip (1978–1979)
- SNP deputy chief whip (1976–1977)
- SNP spokesperson, agriculture (1976–1979)
- SNP spokesperson, self-employed and small businesses (1975–1979)
- SNP spokesperson, local government (1974–1978)
- SNP spokesperson, housing (1974–1978)
Honours and awards
- "HANSARD 1803–2005: People (W): Mr Andrew Welsh". Hansard. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Urquhart, Frank (29 March 2013). "Former SNP MP Andrew Welsh named Freeman of Angus". The Scotsman. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Previous MSPs: Session 1 (1999-2003): Andrew Welsh". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Angus MSP Andrew Welsh to retire". STV News. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Previous MSPs: Session 2 (2003-2007): Andrew Welsh". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Previous MSPs: Session 3 (2007-2011): Andrew Welsh". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Former SNP bright lights say no to Holyrood comeback". The Scotsman. 10 June 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "New deputies for the county of Angus". Forfar Dispatch. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for South Angus
October 1974 – 1979
|Member of Parliament for East Angus
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Angus
|Member of the Scottish Parliament for Angus