Andrew Wight (14 November 1959 – 4 February 2012) was an Australian screenwriter and producer best known for his 2011 film Sanctum. He produced over 45 films including television documentaries, live television specials and 3D IMAX films. His credits include Ghosts of the Abyss, Aliens of the Deep and Expedition: Bismarck. Andrew Wight was honored with the Australian Geographic Society Spirit of Adventure Awards in 1989.
Andrew grew up on the family farm "Tarqua" near Harrow in Western Victoria, and attended Hamilton College as a boarder between 1972 and 1977. It was here that he developed a taste for caving, exploring the nearby Byaduk Caves network of lava caves, under the direction of his Chemistry teacher, accompanied by a few other close school friends. In 1988, he eventually went on to attempt a record cave dive in Pannikin Plains Cave on the Nullarbor Plain, where flash floods turned the expedition into a life-or-death adventure. This was captured on film by his support team, and eventually published as Nullarbor Dreaming. This short film launched his career as an international film-maker and culminated in him becoming James Cameron's right-hand man on many 3D and other film projects. Sanctum was inspired by his Nullarbor experience.
On 4 February 2012, he was killed in a helicopter crash at Jaspers Brush near the town of Berry in New South Wales, Australia. The crash also claimed the life of American filmmaker Mike deGruy.
- AGC (5 July 2010). "AG Society Spirit of Adventure Awards". Australian Geographic Society. Archived from the original on 20 November 2011. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Real-life story inspires big budget movie". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Nullarbor Dreaming". IMBc.com. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Aviation safety investigations & reports – Collision with terrain – Robinson R44, VH-COK, Jaspers Brush, NSW, 4 February 2012 Australian Transport Safety Bureau
- Celebrated Filmmakers Killed in Australian Helicopter Crash National Geographic, 5 February 2012
- Top filmmakers Mike deGruy and Andrew Wight have died in a NSW chopper crash The Australian, 5 February 2012
|This biographical article related to film in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|