||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2009)|
|Born||Andrew Steven Wilkow
August 18, 1972
|Education||University of Florida|
|Occupation||conservative political talk radio host|
Andrew Steven Wilkow (born August 18, 1972) is a conservative political talk radio host on the Sirius XM Patriot channel on SIRIUS channel 125 and XM channel 125. Until July 2006, Wilkow had been on WGY in Schenectady, New York, (weekday mornings) and WABC in New York City (Sunday mornings). He calls himself the "next generation of great talk radio", a nickname given to him by Mark Levin. Wilkow is also a contributor to the website Conservative Punk.
Wilkow was raised in the Long Island town of Bellmore, New York. Wilkow's interest in radio began during his freshman year of college at SUNY Delhi at that college's campus station, WDTU. After transferring from Delhi to a local community college where he obtained his associate degree, he finished his college education at the University of Florida, graduating in 1996 with a degree in Communications. While there, he held an airshift at that school's commercially run WRUF-FM and was a member of Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity.
Before entering talk radio in 2002 he had stints as a disc jockey at WCLG-FM in Morgantown, West Virginia, (as "Andrew Steele") and at WMRQ in Hartford, Connecticut (as "Wilkow"). Wilkow became a regular Sunday morning host at WABC while keeping his air shift at WMRQ. When WMRQ switched format from alternative rock to hip hop, he moved into talk radio full-time when he filled the 5-7 p.m. shift on WGY in October 2003. After becoming a ratings success, Wilkow moved to the 9-11:40 a.m. slot in May 2005, replacing Glenn Beck, when WGY wanted to clear the third hour of Sean Hannity. At WGY, Wilkow became known for being a vocal rival of the Democratic party in Albany (which he refers to as the "entrenched Democratic Machine".)
In June 2006, Wilkow announced his departure from both WGY and WABC in order to host a talk show on Sirius Satellite Radio; his last show on WGY was July 14, and his last show on WABC was on July 30. Since August 9, 2006, Wilkow has hosted his own program on the Sirius Patriot channel on Sirius Satellite radio, "The Wilkow Majority." The advertising for the program claims it is rooted in "one thing and one thing only, and that is rational thought."
On August 23, 2006, Wilkow returned to the airwaves of WABC, where he filled in as a substitute for regular Mark Levin who hosts a three-hour program on WABC every weekday. On July 14, 2007 Andrew married Brittany, the daughter of WABC program director, Phil Boyce.
He currently hosts a three-hour session beginning at 9 A.M. West/12 P.M. East Monday-Friday, with replays after Rusty Humphries in the evenings and on weekends. He frequently appears as a panelist on TheBlaze internet program Real News from the Blaze. Wilkow will be joining TheBlaze in a new show called "Wilkow!" The Blaze is carried by DISH Network as a 24/7 channel.
On June 27, 2014, Andrew announced through social media that he will no longer be hosting "Wilkow!" on The Blaze. On his radio program airing that same day, Andrew cited the reason was related to his desire to spend more time with his children. His final "Wilkow!" broadcast is not yet known.
- "Andrew Wilkow". SIRIUS Satellite Radio. 2011. Archived from the original on 5 January 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "Sirius XM Patriot". XM Radio. 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- McGuire, Mark (10 July 2006). "Wilkow Takes Leap to Satellite Radio". The Albany Times Union.
- Bond, Paul (14 October 2010). "Talk Radio Scrambles for New Talent". Hollywood Reporter.
- St. John, Warren (21 March 2004). "A Bush Surprise: Fright-Wing Support". The New York Times.
- "About". Wilkow Majority. 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- Burke, Katie (May 5, 1999). "What you don’t see and hear when you dial the request line at a radio station". The Daily Athenaeum (West Virginia University).
- "WGY Host to Leave for SIRIUS". The Times Union. 9 June 2006.
- "Political Talk on Sirius". SIRIUS. 2011. Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- Perry, Claudia (22 June 2006). "Radio Notes". The Times Union.
- Andrew Wilkow:
- Andrew Wilkow commentary:
- Pelosi vs Lugosi 2010, by Andrew Wilkow, ParcBench, January 18, 2010.
- Obama missing a beat - Why not sell America to the Americans?, by Andrew Wilkow and Nick Rizzuto, Washington Times, November 4, 2009.
- Pelosi's Chickens Home to Roost; Her Attacks on the CIA's Credibility Have Damaged Her Own, by Andrew Wilkow and Nick Rizzuto, Washington Times, May 19, 2009.
- GE a Corporate Sponsor, by Andrew Wilkow and Nick Rizzuto, Washington Times, May 11, 2009.
- Andrew Wilkow videos:
- Video: Wilkow rolling in mud at HIV/AIDS fundraising event
- Video: Andrew Wilkow on Glenn Beck Show - May 12, 2009 - about GE and Obama healthcare tie.
- Video: Save Jersey's Matt Rooney talks to Andrew Wilkow - May 17, 2009
- Video: Andrew on Lou Dobbs Show, CNN - July 24, 2009
- Video: Andrew on Joy Behar Show, CNN Headline News - 06 Oct 2009