Andrews Independent School District
|Andrews Independent School District|
|405 NW 3rd St.|
|Type||Public Independent school district|
|Motto||Where the Child Comes First|
|Grades||EE through 12|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||234.33 (2011-12) (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Student-teacher ratio||14.56 (2011-12)|
|Athletic conference||UIL Class 3A Football & Basketball|
|TEA District Accountability Rating for 2011-12||Academically Acceptable|
Andrews Independent School District is a school district headquartered in Andrews, Texas, United States. Andrews ISD, which serves all of the city of Andrews and all of Andrews County, is served by the Educational Service Center Region 18.
As of the 2010-2011 school year, the appraised valuation of property in the district was $3,765,328,000. The maintenance tax rate was $0.106 and the bond tax rate was $0.012 per $100 of appraised valuation.
In 2011, the school district was rated "academically acceptable" by the Texas Education Agency. Forty-nine percent of districts in Texas in 2011 received the same rating. No state accountability ratings will be given to districts in 2012. A school district in Texas can receive one of four possible rankings from the Texas Education Agency: Exemplary (the highest possible ranking), Recognized, Academically Acceptable, and Academically Unacceptable (the lowest possible ranking).
Historical district TEA accountability ratings
- 2011: Academically Acceptable
- 2010: Recognized
- 2009: Academically Unacceptable
- 2008: Academically Acceptable
- 2007: Academically Acceptable
- 2006: Academically Acceptable
- 2005: Academically Acceptable
- 2004: Academically Acceptable
In the 2011-2012 school year, the district had students in five schools, all located in Andrews.
- High schools
- Andrews High School (Grades 9-12)
- Middle schools
- Andrews Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Elementary schools
- Clearfork Elementary (Grades EE-1)
- Devonian Elementary (Grades 2-3)
- Underwood Elementary (Grades 4-5)
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
There are several features unique to the district. The middle school has a rare planetarium complete with telescope and opening-rotating dome roof. The high school has a large capacity football stadium named Mustang Bowl. Recent bonds passed have fixed up much of the AISD schools. For Andrews Middle School this includes new classrooms, band hall, and choir room. For Andrews High School this includes renovations to Mustang Bowl, renovation to the school theater, new baseball and softball fields, and a multimillion-dollar performance center containing a large 2-tier pro-style basketball court, swimming pool, separate diving pool, and a large concert hall. This center, when complete, will be one of the largest and most expensive in Texas. As well there has been new playground equipment for elementary schools and other minor improvements.
- Texas School Directory 2013-14 (PDF). Austin, Texas: Texas Education Agency. February 2014. p. 43. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Andrews ISD". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "UIL Alignments". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Andrews High School". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System District Ratings for 2004 through 2011". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System Summary of Ratings for 2004 through 2011(as of November 2, 2011) District Ratings by Rating Category (including Charter Operators)". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 7 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Accountability Rating System for Texas Public Schools and Districts". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 24 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.