|Born||Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko
8 March 1972
|Alma mater||Plekhanov Russian Economic University|
|Net worth||US$8 billion (December 2015)|
With an estimated personal wealth of $8 billion, in 2015 he ranked 137th in the Forbes World’s billionaires list (12th in Russia).
Andrey Melnichenko finished the Boarding School of the Specialized Education and Research Centre under the auspices of the Lomonosov Moscow State University, formerly known as the Boarding School at Kolmogorov Physics-and-Mathematics School #18. Upon graduation, Andrey Melnichenko was admitted in the School of Physics at Moscow State University, and later transferred to and graduated from the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics.
In 1993 at the age of 21, Andrey Melnichenko co-founded the MDM Bank which grew to become one of Russia’s largest private banks within ten years. From 1993 to 1997, Andrey Melnichenko chaired the management board of MDM Bank. In 1997, Andrey Melnichenko graduated from the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics as Finance and Credit major. He then bought out MDM Bank shares from his partners and became the sole shareholder of the Bank.
Between 2000 and 2001, Andrey Melnichenko co-founded the MDM Group comprising industrial assets including Siberian Coal Energy Company ("SUEK") and Mineral and Chemical Company "EuroChem". From 2001 to 2005, he chaired MDM Bank's board of directors. From 2001 to 2004, he was the president of the MDM Group. Andrey Melnichenko also became one of the founders of Pipe and Metallurgic Company, Russia’s largest manufacturer and exporter of steel pipes. In 2004, he sold his share in the transaction related to public placement of the company’s stock with the London Stock Exchange. From 2004 to 2007, Andrey Melnichenko phased sale of all personally owned shares of MDM Bank to his MDM Group partner Sergei Popov, and focused on the development of industrial/mining assets.
Since 2007, Andrey Melnichenko has been part of the Bureau of the Board of Directors of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP).
In 2011, he created the SGC on the basis of electricity assets of SUEK. In 2013, Andrey Melnichenko became the primary shareholder of SUEK and SGC after he has bought his ex-partner shares. Andrey Melnichenko was non-concurrently elected to the Board of RAO UES of Russia and TMK.
He was Chairman of Board of Directors of OJSC SUEK from March 2004 till April 2015. Andrey Melnichenko is currently Chairman of SUEK PLC, appointed to this role in April 2015. He is Chairman of the Strategy Committee (Non-executive director) of EuroChem Group. He is the main beneficiary of EuroChem, SUEK and SGC, and chairs the Boards of Directors of SUEK PLC and SGK.
In 2015 he ranked 137th in the Forbes World’s Billionaires list (#12 in Russia).
Andrey Melnichenko's assets include:
- Open Joint-Stock Company EuroChem: Russia's largest and one of the top world producers of mineral fertilizers. Andrey Melnichenko holds 92.2% of the company's shares.
- Open Joint Stock Siberian Coal Energy Company: the largest in Russia and one of the major coal-producing companies globally. Andrey Melnichenko holds 92.2% of the company's shares.
- OOO Siberian Generating Company: the leading electric power generating company in Siberia. Andrey Melnichenko holds 92.2% of the company's shares.
Andrey Melnichenko chairs the Boards of Directors of SUEK PLC and SGK, and is Chairman of the Strategy Committee at EuroChem.
The Melnichenkos also own a villa in Antibes known as Villa Altiar which was also the location for their wedding and features an extension designed by Phillipe Starck. They also own Harewood Estate in Ascot, Surrey in the United Kingdom.
- "Andrey Melnichenko - Forbes". Forbes.
- Biography Andrey Melnichenko, Forbes, December 2015
- "Andrey Melnichenko Didn't Miss His Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity". The Motley Fool. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "SUEK Board of Directors". SUEK Board of Directors. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- Euro am Sonntag, 26 April 2008
- TMK-Group http://www.tmk-group.com/invest_faq.php#_-On_which_stock
- "EuroChem Board & Management". Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "EuroChem Pre-reports Selected IFRS Financial Information for Q3 2010". Eurochen archives. November 18, 2010.
- "Consolidated statement of comprehensive income". SUEK. p. 48.[full citation needed]
- Derek Blasberg, Smooth sailing: Aleksandra Melnichenko, Harper's Bazaar, November 16, 2011
- "Russian billionaire splashes out on £292 million superyacht he designed himself to enjoy with his supermodel wife". Daily Mail (London). 28 August 2015.
- Robert Franck, Baccarat Meets Bomb-Proof Glass on the High Seas, The Wall Street Journal, July 28, 2009
- $300 million yacht sails Hawaiian Islands, Hawaii News Now, July 28, 2014
- Amanda McCracken. "Nobiskrug shipyard visit report". Boat International. No. November 2015 issue. pp. 128–138.
- "M-YBBJ_NZAA_9372". Retrieved 12 March 2014.