Andri Snær Magnason
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Andri Snær Magnason|
July 14, 1973|
|Education||BA in literature|
|Genre||Children's books, environmentalism|
West Nordic Council's Children and Youth Literature Prize |
Icelandic Literary Award
Icelandic Literary Award
West Nordic Council's Children and Youth Literature Prize
Andri Snær Magnason (born 14 July 1973) is an Icelandic writer. He has written novels, poetry, plays, short stories, essays and CDs. His work has been published or performed in more than 30 countries. He was a candidate in the 2016 Icelandic presidential election.
His most recent work is the novel "Tímakistan" was chosen Children's book of the year in 2013. He also wrote the book Dreamland, a highly praised work of non-fiction dealing with many issues in modern Iceland, mostly environmentalism but also the influence of the US military base in Iceland. His novel, LoveStar, was chosen “Novel of the year” by Icelandic booksellers 2002, received the DV Literary Award and a nomination to the Icelandic Literary Prize, and was awarded the Philip K. Dick Award Special Citation of Excellence in 2013. His children's book, The Story of the Blue Planet, was the first children's book to receive the Icelandic Literary Prize and has been published in 30 countries. The Story of the Blue Planet was a 2014 United Kingdom Literacy Association Book Award Winner, an Honor Book for the Nature Generation's 2013 Green Earth Book Award in Children's Fiction, and received the 2002 West Nordic Children's Book Prize and the Janusz Korczak Honorary Award in 2000. The play from the story has been staged in Toronto, Chicago, Aalborg, Wasa and Lucerne. Andri has collaborated with various artists, mostly with a band called múm. Andri was vice-president of The Icelandic Writers Union and a board member of The Culture House in Reykjavik. He has been active in the fight against the destruction of the Icelandic Highlands. Andri has recently published the book Dreamland - Self-help for a frightened nation. It is a book that criticises the fast destruction of the Icelandic nature by the damming of rivers for the gain of aluminium companies.
Andri was born in Reykjavík on 14 July 1973. He comes from a family of doctors and nurses. His father is a doctor, his mother is a nurse, his sister is a brain surgeon, his brother is a student but his wife is a nurse. Andri is married to a nurse, her sister is in med school, his mother-in-law is a nurse and her sister too. His great grandfather was a doctor in the Westfjords of Iceland. His grandfather, Björn Thorbjarnarson, is married to a nurse from Toronto, was a chief surgeon at the New York Hospital and professor at Cornell University. Björn wrote the bestseller Surgery of the Bilinary Tract, 1975. Andri lives in Reykjavík; he has four children.
- Ljóðasmygl og skáldarán - Nykur 1995
- Bonus Poetry (original title: Bónusljóð). Published by Icelandic supermarket chain Bónus in 1996.
- Very Short Stories (original title: Engar Smá Sögur). Published by Mál og menning. 1996.
- Maður undir himni, um trú í ljóðum Ísaks Harðarsonar. Published by University of Iceland Press in 1999.
- LoveStar (published in English by Seven Stories Press)
- The Story of The Blue Planet (published in English by Seven Stories Press) (original title: Sagan af bláa hnettinum. Published by Mál og menning)
- Dreamland – A Self Help Manual For A Frightened Nation (published in English by Citizen Press). (original title: Draumalandið - sjálfshjálparbók handa hræddri þjóð published by Mál og menning in 2006)
- The Time Casket Tímakistan - Mál og menning 2013
"Sofðu ást mín" Mál og menning 2016
- Natures Opera (original title: Náttúruóperan) LFMH 1999
- Blue Planet (original title: Blái hnötturinn) Icelandic National Theater 2001
- Hlauptu Náttúrubarn Útvarpsleikhúsið 2001
- Úlfhamssaga Hafnarfjarðarleikhúsið/Annað svið 2004
- Eternal Happiness (original title: Eilíf hamingja) with Thorleif Arnarson - City Theater/ Lifandi Leikhús 2007
- Eternal Misery (original title: Eilíf óhamingja) with Thorleif Arnarson- City Theater/ Lifandi Leikhús 2009
- Voices/Raddir, Smekkleysa/Stofnun Árna Magnússonar 1998
- Flugmaður - spoken word CD with múm - Leiknótan 1999
- Dreamland (original title: Draumalandið), Documentary film codirected with Þorfinnur Guðnason. Ground Control Productions 2009.
- Official website(in English) (in Icelandic)