|Mayor of Lviv|
|Assumed office |
26 March 2006
|Preceded by||Zinovy Siryk (Acting)|
|Born||19 August 1968|
Lviv, Ukrainian SSR, USSR
|Political party||Self Reliance (since January 2013)|
|Independent (2010—January 2013)|
Our Ukraine (2006—2010)
|Alma mater||Lviv Polytechnic|
Academy of State Governance
Andriy Ivanovych Sadovyi (Ukrainian: Андрій Іванович Садовий, Andríj Ivanovych Sadovýj) is a Ukrainian politician. He is the mayor of Lviv, the administrative center of the Lviv Oblast of western Ukraine, the leader of the Self Reliance political party, and co-founder of "Lux" media holding. Sadovyi was a candidate in the 2019 Ukrainian presidential election from 8 January until 1 March 2019, when he decided to withdraw.
Andriy Sadovyi was born on 19 August 1968 in the city of Lviv. He graduated from the Lviv Technical School of Radioelectronics in 1987. He performed his military service from 1987 to 1989 in the army of the USSR.
- Graduated from State University "Lviv Polytechnic", having obtained in 1995 the qualification of an engineer of electronic equipment,
- 1997 – qualification of an economist on a specialty "Finance and credit",
- 1999 – Graduated from the National Academy for Public Administration under the President of Ukraine, having received a master's degree in public administration.
In 1989, Andriy Sadovyi began working as an adjuster of radio-electronic devices at the Lvivprylad Manufacturers. In 1992–1995 he was a deputy director of the Lviv branch of Social Adaptation of Youth Fund under the auspices of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
From 1997 to 2005 he was the chairman and head of the board of joint-stock company Pivden'zakhidelectromerezhbud. From 1997 to 2001 he was the head of the board of the Lviv District Development Fund. From 2002 to 2003 Sadovyi was a director of the Lviv Development Institute that publishes the Ukrainian-wide Misto journal. Since 2002, Sadovyi has been the head of the board of the joint-stock Radio&TV company TRK Lux. Since 2005 he has been the head of social organization Self Reliance.
Sadovyi has been engaged in social activity since 1997. He is a founder and the head of a board of the social organization Lviv Development Institute, head of the Management Council of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptyts’kyi Art and Culture Fund of Greek Church of Ukraine (2000–2002), member of Ukrainian-Polish Cooperation Capital. In 2003, he was elected a deputy head of the "Mosty na Skhid" Institute Council (Poland). On 26 March 2006, Sadovyi was elected the city mayor of Lviv. On 31 October 2010, he was re-elected for a second term to the post of mayor of Lviv.
Incidents and scandals
At 11:30pm on 25 July 2014 Sadovyi's house was hit by a HEAT warhead of an RPG-18. The combatant who shot the RPG is unknown, and Sadovyi was not home at the time of the explosion. The explosion damaged the roof, beams and windows of Sadovyi's house.
At 8:45pm on 26 December 2014, the house was hit again. On this day Sadovy and his family were reportedly at the Bukovel Resort. Walls, windows and doors were damaged.
At 10:50pm on 29 October 2015, a grenade was thrown into the courtyard of the Sadovyi's house. Sadovyi and his family were at home at the time of the explosion, however nobody was hurt and no damage was caused. The attacker was arrested.
In the summer of 2016, the Lviv Gribovitsky landfill was closed on court-order, after a fire erupted on-site and claimed the lives of four. The closure led to the dumping of Lviv garbage inside the city and in other area not equipped for this purpose.
In March 2017 Sadovyi announced the signing of a memorandum on the termination of Lviv's trash block. However, in June 2017, due to the severity of the problem – more than 9,000 tons of garbage had accumulated in and around the city – the issue was handed-over to the Lviv Regional State Administration for two years.
Andriy Sadovyi was a member of Our Ukraine until 2010. In October 2012, he called for the creation of a new political party, Self Reliance, which was registered in late December 2012. The name stems from societies that existed prior to World War I in Galicia and which were revived after World War II as credit unions in the United States. Led by Sadovyi, the party finished third in the Ukrainian parliamentary election in October 2014. He decided to remain as mayor of Lviv instead of taking a seat in parliament.
Self Reliance announced on 3 October 2018 that Sadovyi is their candidate in the 2019 Ukrainian presidential election. He was a candidate in the election from 8 January until 1 March 2019, when he decided to withdraw to support the candidacy of Anatoliy Hrytsenko. Hrytsenko had already asked Sadovyi about 1 year prior to support his candidacy, Sadovyi eventually withdrew from the presidential election due to his low rating in opinion polls. Registration of Sadovyi's candidacy was officially cancelled on 5 March 2019.
Kit-Sadova owns large shares in various television and radio broadcasters.
- "Justice Ministry registers party of Lviv mayor". Kyiv Post. 8 January 2013.
- (in Ukrainian) Андрій Садовий піде на вибори мера Львова позапартійним, gigamir.net (13 September 2010)
- ЦВК зареєструвала вже 5 кандидатів у президенти. Українська правда (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Sadovyi withdraws from presidential race in favor of Hrytsenko". www.unian.info. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- (in Ukrainian) Andriy Sadovyy: biography and dossier for Lviv mayor by znaj.ua (13 September 2018)
- Результаты выборов мэра Львова Archived 5 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- (in Ukrainian) Мером Львова обрано Андрія Садового Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine, ЛьвівNEWS (November 2010)
- Mayor of central Ukrainian city shot dead, Reuters (26 July 2014)
(in Ukrainian) Mayor of Lvov's house fired at with "Mukha" ("Fly") last night, Ukrayinska Pravda (26 July 2014)
- Zaxid.net. Будинок Садового у Львові знову обстріляли. ZAXID.NET (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- У двір будинку мера Львова Садового кинули гранату. Українська правда (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Lviv received 35 million euros for solving the "rubbish problem" – the mayor's office". tech2.org. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Нацполіція затримала на Чернігівщині вантажівку, що прямо в селі скинула 12 тонн сміття зі Львова". espreso.tv. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Садовий повідомив про кінець “сміттєвої блокади” Львова. Українська правда (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "Гройсман розкритикував Садового за те, що за 11 років він не вирішив сміттєвої проблеми". zik.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- (in Ukrainian) Sadovy said that he would no longer run for the mayor of Lviv, Ukrayinska Pravda (21 March 2014)
- History Archived 2014-03-06 at the Wayback Machine. Self Reliance New York F.C.U.
- About us Archived 2013-12-06 at the Wayback Machine. UKRAINIAN SELFRELIANCE OF WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA FEDERAL CREDIT UNION.
- Sindelar, Daisy; Tereshchuk, Halyna (31 October 2014). "Can Lviv Mayor Change Ukrainian Politics Once And For All?". RFERL.
- Lviv mayor to run for president, LB.ua (3 October 2018)
- (in Ukrainian) Andriy Sadovy: Hrytsenko did not know that I would publicly support him, Ukrayinska Pravda (1 March 2019)
- Садового вже зняли з виборів
- (in Ukrainian) Elections-2019: Sadov declared 490 thousand salaries, all assets - in his wife by Ukrayinska Pravda (9 January 2019)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andriy Sadovyy.|