Andriy Shevchenko (politician)
|People's Deputy of Ukraine|
May 25, 2006 – November 27, 2014
June 10, 1976 |
|Political party||Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc|
|Children||1 daughter, Marichka (born in 2004)|
|Alma mater||Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University|
Andriy Shevchenko (Ukrainian: Андрій Шевченко) (born June 10, 1976) is a former member of the Verkhovna Rada, the Ukrainian parliament. He is also a prominent Ukrainian journalist and civil activist and the current Ambassador of Ukraine to Canada.
Under the administration of President Kuchma, Shevchenko was one of the leaders of the journalists’ movement against censorship. In 2002 he left Novyi Kanal under political pressure. Later in 2002 he established Kyiv Independent Media Union and was elected its first chairman.
In 2003 Shevchenko introduced his idea of creating the Channel of Honest News (Канал чесних новин). The 5th Channel, a 24-hours-day news channel, was the only network not controlled by the government. It eventually played a key role during the Orange Revolution of 2004. Shevchenko was the editor-in-chief of the channel and a news presenter.
In 2005, after the Orange Revolution, Shevchenko was appointed vice-president of the National Television Company of Ukraine, but left his position in six months after the government refused to transform the state broadcaster into a public broadcasting system. He is now president of the Center for Public Media, an NGO promoting public broadcasting in Ukraine.
In 2005 Shevchenko received The Press Freedom Award from Reporters Without Borders (Austria, 2005). He also received a number of Ukrainian journalistic awards, including The Best News Presenter, The Best News Program, The Best Documentary (‘Teletriumph’, 2005).
Shevchenko successfully ran for the Ukrainian Parliament in 2006, 2007, and 2012 with Yulia Tymoshenko’s party ‘Batkivshchyna’. In the elections of 2006 and 2007 he was ranked 5th in the party lists of Yulia Tymoshenko's Block, and in 2012 he was ranked 33rd in the party list of the United Opposition.
In 2006 Shevchenko was elected the Ukrainian parliament’s Free Speech Committee Chairman and became the youngest ever Committee chairman to serve in the Ukrainian Parliament. He was reelected the Free Speech Committee Chairman in 2010. After the election of 2012 Mr. Shevchenko was elected First Deputy Chairman of the Human Rights Committee.
Shevchenko is the author of the Ukrainian Law on Access to Public Information, which was adopted in 2011 and is credited with strengthening civil freedoms and the free flow of information in the country. He is also one of the authors of the Law on Non-Governmental Organizations.
Mr. Shevchenko was an active participant of Euromaydan - mass protests of 2013-14 that brought down the regime of Victor Yanukovich.
In the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election he was not re-elected into parliament; because he placed 20th on the electoral list of Batkivshchina and the party won 17 seats on the electoral list and 2 constituency seats.
- Shevchenko went to school in Kyiv.
- In 1993-94 he was an exchange student to Alameda High School, Alameda, California.
- In 1999 he received his master's degree from the Institute of Journalism at Kiev University.
- He also studied political science and economics at Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.
- Yale World Fellow (2008)
- Draper Hills Fellow at Stanford (2009).
- Five factions form Verkhovna Rada coalition, Interfax-Ukraine (27 November 2014)
Poroshenko guesses parliamentary coalition to be slightly larger, Interfax-Ukraine (27 November 2014)
Governing coalition formed in parliament, UNIAN (27 November 2014)
- (Ukrainian)Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc election list, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- (Ukrainian) Biography, www.vlada.kiev.ua
- Poroshenko Bloc to have greatest number of seats in parliament Archived November 12, 2014, at the Wayback Machine., Ukrinform (8 November 2014)
People's Front 0.33% ahead of Poroshenko Bloc with all ballots counted in Ukraine elections - CEC Archived November 12, 2014, at the Wayback Machine., Interfax-Ukraine (8 November 2014)
Poroshenko Bloc to get 132 seats in parliament - CEC, Interfax-Ukraine (8 November 2014)
- (Ukrainian) Full electoral list of "Fatherland", TVi (15 September 2014)
- Yale University President Announces 2008 Yale World Fellows Archived November 11, 2009, at the Wayback Machine., Yale University (May 1, 2008)