Andrzej Nowak (historian)
Andrzej Nowak (born 1960) is one of the most influential Polish historian and publicist in modern Poland. Professor of Jagiellonian University and Business College - National Louis University in Nowy Sącz, former (1996) visiting professor of East-Central European history at Rice University. Member of Polish Academy of Sciences, where he is the director of Department of Russian and Soviet Studies. Chief editor of socio-cultural magazine (bi-monthly) "Arcana". Member of the Advisory Board of Polskie Radio since 1998.
Author of more than 30 books, some 200 historical publications (articles and studies) in scientific periodicals and dozens of articles, reviews and interviews, including many in the underground publications up to 1989.
His main research areas are cultural and political history and thought of Eastern Europe in 19th and 20th centuries, political philosophy; international political relations; modern mass-media. He has published several books about Polish-Russian relations. He is a member of Advisory Council of The Centre for Polish-Russian Dialogue and Understanding.
Andrzej Nowak writes his History of Poland (Dzieje Polski), has published two volumes of planned 10 or 11.
- Między carem i rewolucją. Studium wyobraźni politycznej i postaw Wielkiej Emigracji wobec Rosji, 1831–1849 (Between Tsar and Revolution. A Study of Political Imagination and Attitudes of the Polish Great Emigration, 1831–1849), Warszawa 1994, 370 pp;
- Jak rozbić rosyjskie imperium? Idee polskiej polityki wschodniej, 1733-1921 (How to break up the Russian Empire? Ideas of the Polish Eastern Policy, 1733–1921), Warszawa 1995, 270 pp;
- Kronika Polski, 962-1997 (The Chronicle of Poland, 962-1997), Kraków 1998, 930 pp.
- Polacy, Rosjanie i biesy. Studia i szkice historyczne z XIX i XX w. (Poles, Russians, and demons. Historical studies and essays from the 19th and 20th centuries), Kraków 1998, 270 pp.
- Imperiological Studies. A Polish Perspective, Wydawnictwo Societas Vistulana, Kraków 2011.
- Strachy i Lachy. Przemiany polskiej pamięci, Wydawnictwo Biały Kruk, Kraków 2012.
- Dzieje Polski. Skąd nasz ród, t.1, Wydawnictwo Biały Kruk, Kraków 2014.
- Dzieje Polski. Od rozbicia do nowej Polski, t.2, Wydawnictwo Biały Kruk, Kraków 2016.
- Uległość czy niepodległość, Wydawnictwo Biały Kruk, Kraków 2014.
- Wygaszanie Polski 1989-2015, Wydawnictwo Biały Kruk, Kraków 2015.
- Pierwsza zdrada Zachodu. 1920 - zapomniany appeasement, Wydawnictwo Literackie, Kraków 2015.
- 1989 - POLCUL (Polish Cultural Foundation) Award in Journalism (in underground publications during the martial law in Poland);
- 1995 - "Przegląd Wschodni" (Eastern Review) Award for the best book on Eastern European History
- 1994, 1995 and 1998 CLIO Awards (by Commission of the Polish Historical Books Editors) for the best book on history published in Poland;
- 1999 Jerzy Lojek Foundation/Institute of Joseph Piłsudski in New York Award for the whole output.
- History as an apology for Totalitarianism (conference paper)
|This biographical article about a historian from Poland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|