Andy Bennett (musician)
|Born||Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom|
|Genres||British rock, pop|
|Labels||Acid Jazz Records, Swan Music|
|Associated acts||Ocean Colour Scene|
Bennett had his first break with his band The Elements (formerly known as Sargent) which included Tim Jacques, Lee Burn and Dave Casswell. The Elements regularly gigged throughout Birmingham and supported Ocean Colour Scene. The band released their first album, The Elements, on Acid Jazz Records music label and the album charted at #7 in the indie music charts.
Ocean Colour Scene
- One for the Road (2004) (Guitar, Background Vocals)
- A Hyperactive Workout for the Flying Squad (2005) (Guitar)
- Live Acoustic at the Jam House (2006) (Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Background Vocals)
- Live at Birmingham Academy (2006)
- On the Leyline (2007) (Acoustic and Electric Guitar)
- Live at the Town Hall (2008)
- Saturday (2010) (Composer)
- 21 (2010) (Guitar, Composer)
Bennett co-wrote the song "Old Pair of Jeans" which was on the Saturday album. According to The Digital Fix, "It just gets better with every song a winner. The jaunty ‘Old Pair Of Jeans’ is rollicking fun: "I wish you didn't get hung up so easily / When you're bound fall apart you always fall apart at the seams / So worn and so torn..like an old pair of jeans." The song also featured on the 21 album.
Bennett has toured with Ocean Colour Scene since 2004, but left in February 2015 to focus on his solo material.
In November 2016, Bennett released his first album, thinkin', drinkin', singin' , featuring a back catalogue of songs which he has been working on over time (including the songs previously released as singles and also a new version of the song "Old Pair of Jeans"). His album was met with positive response, garnering a four stars out of five review from PlanetMosh, as well as a 5 stars rating from Flick of the Finger. The publication cited the track 'Fool No More' as 'the quintessential track on an album that is full of gems.'
- "Stay on the scene – Independent, The (London) – Find Articles at BNET". Findarticles.com. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Oceancolourtheme : Simon Fowler Profile : Ocean Colour Scene". Blue-whaleproductions.com. 25 May 1965. Archived from the original on 21 July 2012. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- Strong, Martin Charles (2006). The essential rock discography. Canongate U.S. pp. 777–. ISBN 978-1-84195-860-6. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- "Andy Bennett". The Walnut Tree Inn. 9 April 2016. Archived from the original on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Andy Bennett". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Ocean Colour Scene - Old Pair of Jeans". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Ocean Colour Scene - Saturday". Music @ The Digital Fix. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Ocean Colour Scene guitarist quits the band". Birmingham Mail. 11 February 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Review - Andy Bennett - Hole In The Road". Kul Britania. Archived from the original on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Lichfield music firm backs ex-Ocean Colour Scene guitarist's solo venture". Lichfield Mercury. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Aisling Kiely (27 October 2016). "Andy setting out on a new road". Sohilull Observer. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Graham Clark (8 November 2016). "Andy Bennett - Thinkin, Drinkin, Singin". The Yorkshire Times. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- James Gaden (9 November 2016). "Andy Bennett - Thinkin, Drinkin, Singin". Rocktopia. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Andy Bennett Thinkin' Drinkin' Singin' Album review from Flick of the Finger". Flick Of The Finger Magazine. 8 December 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2017.