Andrew Cosslett (born 14 April 1955) is a British businessman and Chairman of the Rugby Football Union.
He resigned as Chairman of Fitness First, the international operator of fitness facilities, in December 2015 having also previously held the role of Chief Executive Officer. He was also Non-Executive Chairman of England Rugby 2015 - the organising committee for the 2015 Rugby World Cup which was played in England.
Cosslett was born in Whalley Range, Manchester in 1955 and grew up in Withington. He gained a BA (Econ) Hons in Economics and an MA degree in European Studies from the University of Manchester. He began his business career in 1979 as a graduate trainee selling Wall's ice cream and spent 11 years with Unilever becoming a marketing director before joining Cadbury Schweppes in 1990. He then spent 14 years at Cadbury Schweppes in a number of senior roles, including Chairman, Cadbury Schweppes Australia; CEO of the Asia Pacific confectionery business; Managing Director, Great Britain & Ireland; and President, Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Cosslett joined InterContinental Hotels Group as Chief Executive Officer in 2005. As CEO of IHG, he oversaw the launching of the midmarket boutique hotel brand Hotel Indigo, and a focus on further expansion into the Chinese market. An additional change includes IHG selling most of the hotels the company owned and reaffirming their business model as mainly a manager and franchisor of hotels. During the late 2000s, he oversaw a $1bn (£603m), four-year relaunch of the Holiday Inn franchise.
Between 2005 and 2011, Cosslett was a Board member of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), a member of the Presidents Council of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and a Board member of the International Tourism Partnership. He is married with two teenage children.
Cosslett stood down as the CEO on the 30 June 2011 stating that he has been considering his situation for quite a while: “I’m into my seventh year, but it does feel like the right time to hand over the reins. ... The business is in great shape, and that really helps my exit.”
- "Cosslett new Chairman of the RFU Board". England Rugby.
- "Andrew Cosslett joins Advent International's Operating Partner Program". Private Equity Wire.
- "Shooting Star Chase Trustees". Shooting Star Chase.
- "Andy Cosslett steps down as CEO of InterContinental Hotels". Manchester Evening News. 16 March 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "2008 Speaker Biographies: ANDY COSSLETT, CEO, InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG)". Leaders in London 2008. Archived from the original on 30 December 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- "IHG: Our main board: Andrew Cosslett". InterContinental Hotels Group. Archived from the original on 19 November 2009. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Arnott, Sarah (26 November 2009). "Andrew Cosslett: Suite dreams for the future". The Independent. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Townsend, Abigail (5 March 2006). "Andrew Cosslett: 'Emotional contracts': at his hotels, the shareholders aren't disturbed". The Independent On Sunday. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Capell, Kerry (21 May 2007). "How Andy Cosslett Restyled IHG". BusinessWeek. McGraw-Hill. Archived from the original on 17 September 2009. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Bokaie, Jemima (9 September 2008). "The Marketing Profile: Andrew Cosslett, chief executive, InterContinental Hotels Group". Marketing. Haymarket. Archived from the original on 7 January 2010. Retrieved 29 November 2009.