Andy Couturier (born June 3, 1964) is an American author and winner of the 2017 Nautilus Book Award, Gold, in Green Living/Sustainability. His books include Writing Open the Mind: Tapping the Subconscious to Free the Writing and the Writer (Ulysses Press, 2005), A Different Kind of Luxury: Japanese Lessons in Simple Living and Inner Abundance (Stone Bridge Press, 2010), and The Abundance of Less: Lessons in Simple Living from Rural Japan (North Atlantic Books, 2017). The Abundance of Less is a revised and updated edition of his previous work. His essays and articles on ecology, sustainable living, and the problems inherent with nuclear power have appeared in The Japan Times, North American Review, Adbusters, Kyoto Journal, the Oakland Tribune, and Creative Nonfiction.
He was born in New York, New York, United States, and grew up in Washington D.C. and Chicago. He is an alumnus of the UC Santa Cruz Department of Sociology and holds an MA in English (with concentrations in composition and writing instruction) at San Francisco State University. He lived in Japan for four years working as a researcher for Japanese aesthetics, a journalist, and a teacher. He is the founder and creative director for a private creative writing school, The Opening, which offers courses in Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Oakland, internationally, and online.
- A Different Kind of Luxury: Japanese Lessons in Simple Living and Inner Abundance ISBN 1-933330-83-X
- Writing Open the Mind: Tapping the Subconscious to Free the Writing and the Writer ISBN 1-56975-476-4
- The Abundance of Less: Lessons in Simple Living from Rural Japan ISBN 1-62317-132-6
- "2017 Grand/Gold Winners – Nautilus Book Awards". nautilusbookawards.com. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Writing Open the Mind (9781569754764)". PGW. Archived from the original on 2012-02-23. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "Stone Bridge Press - A Different Kind of Luxury". Stonebridge.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- The Abundance of Less by Andy Couturier | PenguinRandomHouse.com.
- "ALTERNATIVE LUXURIES - Life". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2017-04-17.
- Couturier, Andy (1998-01-01). "Fry It How You like It". The North American Review. 283 (1): 32–33. JSTOR 25126206.
- "KJ writers & artists | Kyoto Journal". www.kyotojournal.org. Archived from the original on 2017-04-17. Retrieved 2017-04-17.
- "Creative Writing Courses, Writing Classes, Editing, Memoir, Non Fiction, Book Completion, Santa Cruz, San Francisco Bay Area, Oakland, Berkeley". Theopening.org. Retrieved 2013-10-16.