Andy Field (academic)
Field did his B.Sc. Psychology 1991–1994 at City University London and his D.Phil. at University of Sussex from 1994–1997. Field is the author of several textbooks about statistics, which typically deal with software application of statistical theory in SPSS and R. His books are characterised by an irreverent, sometimes outrageous, writing style that is atypical of academic texts. His student-friendly approach to writing led to The Times Higher Education Supplement dubbing him 'the Harry Potter of the social sciences'.
Field received different honors from the British Psychological Society: their Teaching Award in 2005 which recognises unusually significant contributions to education and training in psychology within the UK. And in 2007 the Book Award for the second edition of his book Discovering Statistics Using SPSS: and sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll. In 2010 he received a National Teaching Fellowship for individual excellence in teaching.
He became fellow of the Higher Education Academy in 2009 and fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2010. His current field of research lies in anxiety, child development and maths attainment.
In 2016 Field published An Adventure In Statistics: The Reality Enigma, which is described as a textbook embedded within a fictional novel. The book also contains graphic novel elements. The book was a finalist for The Association of Learned & Professional Society Publishers Award for Innovation in Publishing, the British Book Design and Production Awards (Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Education category) and the British Psychological Society book award although it failed to win any of them.
In his books, Field typically cites the music that he listened to while writing. The bands cited are predominantly in the genres of Rock music, Progressive rock, and Heavy metal music. He lists his musical heroes as Dave Murray of Iron Maiden and Mikael Åkerfeldt and Martin Axenrot of Opeth. From 1989 until 1996 Field played guitar and sang in the heavy metal band Scanxion and in a 2014 article he discusses playing the drums in a band called Fracture Pattern. His books make frequent references to his pets.
He is married with two sons, and lives in Brighton.
- Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics: and Sex and Drugs and Rock 'N' Roll. (5th edition) Sage Publications, 2017.
- An Adventure in Statistics: The Reality Enigma. Sage Publications, 2016.
- Discovering Statistics Using R: and Sex and Drugs and Rock 'N' Roll. Sage Publications, 2012.
- How to Design and Report Experiments. (1st edition) Sage Publications, 2003.
- Clinical Psychology. Learning Matters, 2003.
- Herther, Nancy K. (2013-03-21). "SAGE Strikes Gold with Andy Field's New Statistics Textbook". newsbreaks.infotoday.com. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Sex, drugs and stats". Times Higher Education (THE). Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology Education | BPS". www.bps.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Book Award | BPS". www.bps.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Professor Andy Field | Higher Education Academy". www.heacademy.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Fellows - Academy of Social Sciences". Academy of Social Sciences. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Andy Field takes statistics adventure to a new level". 2016-04-27. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "ALPSP Awards 2016 Finalists announced". www.alpsp.org. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "British Book Design and Production Awards". Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "See the books nominated for our award | BPS". www.bps.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- SAGE (2013-02-20), Ask Andy Anything: Gibson or Fender?, retrieved 2016-03-09
- "Scanxion - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". www.metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "For those psychologists about to rock... | The Psychologist". thepsychologist.bps.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- SAGE (2013-01-31), The Man Behind the Book: Andy Field, Author of Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics, retrieved 2018-08-30
- P.,, Field, Andy. Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics. Field, Andy P. (5th ed.). London. ISBN 9781526419514. OCLC 1015821231.
- P.,, Field, Andy. An adventure in statistics : the reality enigma. Iles, James,. Los Angeles. ISBN 9781446210444. OCLC 946770446.
- P., Field, Andy (2012). Discovering statistics using R. Miles, Jeremy, 1968-, Field, Zoë. London: Sage. ISBN 9781446200469. OCLC 760970657.
- P., Field, Andy (2003). How to design and report experiments. Hole, Graham. London: Sage Publications. ISBN 0761973826. OCLC 52040650.
- P., Field, Andy (2003). Clinical psychology. Exeter: Crucial. ISBN 1903337208. OCLC 50841659.