Fish attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City, doing undergraduate studies in Comic Art and Illustration. At the School of Visual Arts, Fish studied under Will Eisner, one of the pioneers of the creation of the graphic novel. At the Rhode Island School of Design he did post-graduate studies in Illustration and Painting.
"How to Draw" Series
Fish is the author and artist of several "how-to" illustration books published by Chartwell Books. They include:
- 2011 - How To Draw Superheroes, Chartwell Books, ISBN 978-0785827184
- 2011 - How To Draw Supernatural Beings, Chartwell Books, ISBN 978-0785827177
- 2010 - How To Draw Graphic Novel Style, Chartwell Books, ISBN 978-0785826705
- 2010 - How To Draw Tattoo Style, Chartwell Books, (with Veronica Hebard), ISBN 978-0785826699
Graphic novels and comics
Fish is the author and artist of the following graphic novels and comics:
- 2011 - Dracula's Army: The Dead Travel Fast, Robo Picto Books, ISBN 978-1-4507-2895-9
- 2011 - Werewolves of Wisconsin, McFarland Press, ISBN 978-0786467983
- 2007 - The Tragic Tale of Turkey Boy: An American Love Story, Under Cover Books
- 2007 - Fly: A True Story Completely Made Up, Under Cover Books
- 2004 - Requiem, 24 Pages in 24 Hours, Blue Monkey Comics
- 2004 - Jerry Claus: The Return of Dark Santa, Blue Monkey Comics
- 2000 - Adam Bomb vs. the Moon Menace, Blue Monkey Comics
- 1999 - Adam Bomb, Blue Monkey Comics
- 1997 - Cable, Marshall Comics
Geeks & Greeks Kickstarter
Fish is the illustrator of:
- 2016 - Geeks & Greeks, Relentless Goat Productions, (written by Steve Altes, illustrated by Andy Fish), ISBN 978-0-9963504-4-0
In 2014 Fish was selected by humorist Steve Altes to illustrate Altes's graphic novel about high-tech pranks at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology titled Geeks & Greeks.  Altes says the story was inspired by actual MIT hacks and incidents he experienced as an MIT student and fraternity resident. Geeks & Greeks was published in March 2016.
Fish has drawn the following comics:
- The Misadventures of Adam West: Vol. 5, Blue Water Productions
- Bagman at the World's Fair, Airship 27
- Crimson Mask, Airship 27
- Queen of Escapes, Airship 27
Fish's style employs a pop sensibility and the use of vibrant, super-saturated colors. Fish's work has been exhibited in the Aurora Gallery in Worcester, MA, the Chashama Gallery in Manhattan, the Ad Hoc Gallery in Brooklyn, and galleries in Sydney, Australia.  One of his paintings is in the collection of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. Fish also participated in the 2008 Suckers and Biters Exhibit in Brooklyn.
Fish is an Adjunct Professor of Art at Emerson College in Boston. He has also taught at the Worcester Art Museum and the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. Together with his wife fellow artist Veronica Fish, Andy lectures at schools and libraries on the subjects of writing, comics, manga, graphic novels. He also presents programs on how to develop a career as a professional artist.
Fish has created illustrations for such corporate clients as Warner Bros, DC Comics, Nike, and Coca Cola and his comics have appeared in Sports Illustrated, The New Yorker and The Boston Globe.
- 2014 - Boys and Girls Club Lifetime Achievement Honors
- 2014 - Pulp Factory Award (nominated)
- 2012 - New England Newspaper Association Illustrator Award (nominated)
- 2005 - New England Newspaper Association Illustrator Award (nominated)
- 2005 - World Smile Celebration Illustration
- 2005 - INKY Award for best digital comic book
- "Friendly Neighborhood Comics Celebrates 6 Years in Business". BellinghamBulletin.com (Bellingham, MA). 2015-01-30.
- "Graphic Novel Program Could Become New Major". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Andy Fish - Bio". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Amazon - Books by Andy Fish". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Geeks & Greeks – an epic graphic novel about MIT pranks". Kickstarter.com (New York City, NY). 2014-06-12.
- "Geeks & Greeks Illustration Process". YouTube.com (Worcester, MA). 2015-08-15.
- "Humor Writer to Publish Graphic Novel on Hacks". TechnologyReview.com (Cambridge, MA). 2015-04-21.
- "Geeks & Greeks graphic novel official website". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Fish Wrap". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Moby's - Andy Fish's First Work". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Art in the City". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Interview with Artist Andy Fish". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Suckers and Biters - Tumblr". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "LinkedIn - Andy Fish". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Undercover Fish Group". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Creative Finder - Andy Fish". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Boys & Girls Club of Worcester - Alumni Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Emerson College - Graphic Novel Writing and Illustration Program". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Veronica Fish Illustration - About". Retrieved 2015-08-04.