Fish attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City, doing undergraduate studies in Comic Art and Illustration. At the School of Visual Arts, Fish studied under Will Eisner, a pioneer of the graphic novel medium. At the Rhode Island School of Design he did post-graduate studies in Illustration and Painting.
On November 14, 2018 Entertainment Weekly announced in and Exclusive that ARCHIE COMICS would be relaunching an all ages SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH comic book written by Kelly Thompson and illustrated by the husband and wife team of Andy and Veronica Fish.
In February 2018 Dark Horse Comics announced that it would be publishing a new horror/comedy mini series written by Evan Dorkin and illustrated by the husband and wife team of Andy and Veronica Fish.
"Andy Fish does all the silent back work for this comics, and it would be a shame if we don’t shout him out for it. He not only helps with color flats but also is an art assist and letterer to the comic. While everything he does for the comic is absolutely stellar, Fish’s lettering and layouts are absolute standouts. Fish's layouts are easy to follow. Every one always builds on top, and they have their own variation and unison to them that builds the story in a suspenseful way. I absolutely love experimental layout where panels are on top of panels and Fish does this amazingly. He provides a space where Veronica’s art can breathe freely, so you soak in every detail. He also does a massively incredible job with lettering this comic. Again, allowing you to follow easily, but gives tons of variations on the balloon placement and sound effects. This is one comic where the sound effects were absolutely effective and essential to be placed perfectly, and Fish nails it."
Fish illustrated a graphic novel written by humorist Steve Altes about high-tech pranks at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology titled Geeks & Greeks. The story was inspired by actual MIT hacks and incidents Altes experienced as an MIT student and fraternity resident. Geeks & Greeks (Relentless Goat Productions, Steve Altes (writer), Andy Fish (illustrator), Veronica Fish (colorist) ISBN 978-0-9963504-4-0) was published in 2016 to generally positive reviews.
Fish has created illustrations for such corporate clients as Warner Bros, DC Comics, Nike, and Coca-Cola and his comics have appeared in Sports Illustrated, The New Yorker and The Boston Globe.
Fish's work has been exhibited in the Aurora Gallery in Worcester, Massachusetts, the Chashama Gallery in Manhattan, the Ad Hoc Gallery in Brooklyn, and galleries in Sydney, Australia. One of his paintings is in the collection of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. Fish also participated in the 2008 Suckers and Biters Exhibit in Brooklyn.
Fish is an Adjunct Professor of Art at Emerson College in Boston. He has also taught at the Worcester Art Museum and the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. Together with his wife fellow artist Veronica Fish, Andy lectures at schools and libraries on the subjects of writing, comics, manga, graphic novels. He also presents programs on how to develop a career as a professional artist.
- 2014 - Boys and Girls Club Lifetime Achievement Honors
- 2014 - Pulp Factory Award (nominated)
- 2012 - New England Newspaper Association Illustrator Award (nominated)
- 2005 - New England Newspaper Association Illustrator Award (nominated)
- 2005 - World Smile Celebration Illustration
- 2005 - INKY Award for best digital comic book
How to Draw series
Fish is the author and artist of several "how-to" illustration books published by Chartwell Books. They include:
- 2011 - How To Draw Superheroes, Chartwell Books, ISBN 978-0785827184
- 2011 - How To Draw Supernatural Beings, Chartwell Books, ISBN 978-0785827177
- 2010 - How To Draw Graphic Novel Style, Chartwell Books, ISBN 978-0785826705
- 2010 - How To Draw Tattoo Style, Chartwell Books, (with Veronica Hebard), ISBN 978-0785826699
Graphic novels and comics
Fish is the author and artist of the following graphic novels and comics:
- 2018 - Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Archie Comics
- 2018 - Blackwood, Dark Horse Comics
- 2014 - Geeks & Greeks, Relentless Goat Productions, ISBN 978-0996350440
- 2012 - Dracula's Army, McFarland Press ISBN 978-0786475827
- 2011 - Dracula: The Dead Travel Fast, Robo Picto Books, ISBN 978-1-4507-2895-9
- 2011 - Werewolves of Wisconsin, McFarland Press, ISBN 978-0786467983
- 2007 - The Tragic Tale of Turkey Boy: An American Love Story, Under Cover Books
- 2007 - Fly: A True Story Completely Made Up, Under Cover Books
- 2004 - Requiem, 24 Pages in 24 Hours, Blue Monkey Comics
- 2004 - Jerry Claus: The Return of Dark Santa, Blue Monkey Comics
- 2000 - Adam Bomb vs. the Moon Menace, Blue Monkey Comics
- 1999 - Adam Bomb, Blue Monkey Comics
- 1997 - Cable, Marshall Comics
- The Misadventures of Adam West: Vol. 5, Blue Water Productions
- Bagman at the World's Fair, Airship 27
- Crimson Mask, Airship 27
- Queen of Escapes, Airship 27
- "Friendly Neighborhood Comics Celebrates 6 Years in Business". BellinghamBulletin.com. Bellingham, MA. 2015-01-30.
- "Graphic Novel Program Could Become New Major". Archived from the original on 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Andy Fish - Bio". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- Holub, Christian. "Sabrina the Teenage Witch is getting a new, non-'chilling' comic". EW.com. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- Sava, Oliva. "Dark Horse opens enrollment to a college of horrors in this Blackwood exclusive". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- "Buy This Comic: Blackwood #1". Geek.com. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- "Geeks & Greeks Illustration Process". YouTube.com. Worcester, MA. 2015-08-15.
- "Humor Writer to Publish Graphic Novel on Hacks". TechnologyReview.com. Cambridge, Massachusetts. 2015-04-21.
- "Geeks & Greeks graphic novel official website". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Moore, Karleigh (2016-04-08). "Book Review: A Tale of Hazing and Hacking at MIT". tech.mit.edu. The Tech (MIT). Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Bench, Anthony (2016-08-08). "Geeks & Greek Review". FanboyNation.com. FanboyNation. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Adkins, Jana (2016-08-01). "From Aerospace Engineer to Life as a Spy". SignalSCV.com. Santa Clarita Valley Business Journal. Archived from the original on 2016-08-08. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Pachter, Richard (2016-08-11). "From John Lewis to Jughead, a Roundup of Graphic Novels". MiamiHerald.com. Miami Herald. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Cornog, Martha (2016-09-15). "Altes/Fishs, Beaumont, Clowes, Cornell/Parker, Girard, Jackson, Schulz - Graphic Novels Reviews". LibraryJournal.com. Library Journal. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Frank, Casey Rose (2016-04-08). "Battle of the Geeks". Syracuse.com. The Post-Standard. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Carreiro, Remy (2016-09-05). "Animal House for the Tech Gen: Geeks & Greeks Graphic Novel Review". ForeverGeek.com. Forever Geek. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Ferno, Clay (2016-08-10). "Talking Geeks & Greeks with Steve Altes and Andy Fish". ForceOfGeek.com. Force of Geek. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Barbuto, Dana (2016-12-01). "Quincy Quarries Star in New Graphic Novel". The Patriot Ledger. Quincy, Massachusetts. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- Hughes, Johnny (2016-09-08). "Review: Geeks & Greeks". ComicCrusaders.com. Comic Crusaders. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Hickey, Patrick (2016-08-25). "Review Fix Exclusive: Steve Altes Talks Geeks & Greeks". ReviewFix.com. Review Fix. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Moby's - Andy Fish's First Work". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Greenfield, Dan (2017-04-02). "The Best Batman Comic Never Published by DC". 13thDimension.com. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- "Batman by Andy Fish". BatmanByAndyFish.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- "Creative Finder - Andy Fish". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Art in the City". Retrieved 2014-09-04.[permanent dead link]
- "Interview with Artist Andy Fish". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Suckers and Biters". Tumblr. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "LinkedIn - Andy Fish". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Undercover Fish Group". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Boys & Girls Club of Worcester - Alumni Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Emerson College - Graphic Novel Writing and Illustration Program". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Veronica Fish Illustration - About". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Amazon - Books by Andy Fish". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Fish Wrap". Retrieved 2014-09-04.