Andy Kim (politician)
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New Jersey's 3rd district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Tom MacArthur|
|Born||July 12, 1982|
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Education||Deep Springs College|
University of Chicago (BA)
Magdalen College, Oxford (MPhil, DPhil)
Andrew N. Kim (born July 12, 1982) is an American politician and former diplomat serving as the U.S. Representative from New Jersey's 3rd congressional district. Kim is the first Democrat, and second member of Congress, of Korean descent.
Early life and career
Kim was born in Boston to Korean immigrant parents. He was raised in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and graduated from Cherry Hill High School East. He attended Deep Springs College in California before transferring to the University of Chicago, where he graduated in 2004 with a degree in political science. During college, Kim was an intern at the United States Agency for International Development. Kim later received a Rhodes Scholarship and Harry S. Truman Scholarship to study international relations at Magdalen College, Oxford.
U.S. State Department
Kim worked at the U.S. State Department and served in Afghanistan as a civilian adviser to General David Petraeus and John R. Allen, before working as a national security adviser for the White House under President Barack Obama. Kim served as a United States National Security Council official to Obama.
U.S. House of Representatives
A resident of Bordentown, New Jersey, Kim ran in the 2018 United States House of Representatives election in New Jersey on November 6, 2018, after advancing from the June Democratic primary. Kim ran against two-term incumbent Republican Tom MacArthur, in a district that had been won by President Donald Trump in 2016. Kim was endorsed by former U.S. President Barack Obama, former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, and actress Piper Perabo. Kim says he was inspired to run in reaction to MacArthur’s efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
During the campaign, MacArthur sought to portray Kim as a D.C. elitist and outsider. In an ad run by the New Jersey Republican Party, Kim was described as "Real Fishy" in Wonton font on a picture of dead fish. MacArthur dismissed accusations of racism surrounding the ad.
- "Candidate Conversation - Andy Kim (D) - News & Analysis - Inside Elections". www.insideelections.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "Newcomer Andy Kim beats GOP Rep. MacArthur in New Jersey". November 14, 2018. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Amy S. Rosenberg, Jan Hefler (November 7, 2018). "Democrat Andy Kim claims win over U.S. Rep. Tom MacArthur in N.J.'s 3rd Congressional District". .philly.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Reilly, Ryan J. (October 30, 2018). "Andy Kim Is A South Jersey Boy. The GOP Calls Him 'Not One Of Us.'". Huffington Post. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "KIM, Andy - Biographical Information". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. United States Congress.
- Rosenberg, Amy S. "Andy Kim’s campaign took off in the Mt. Laurel Wegmans. Now Kim, 36, is trying to unseat Rep. Tom MacArthur, New Jersey’s Trumpiest congressman", The Philadelphia Inquirer, August 27, 2018. Accessed November 9, 2018. "He and the super PACs supporting him have been relentless, running TV ads calling out Kim for taking a tax break on his D.C. condo after moving back to New Jersey, and suggesting the Marlton-born and Cherry Hill East High graduate is 'not one of us.'"
- "Two University of Chicago students win Rhodes Scholarships". University of Chicago. November 21, 2004. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Rizzo, Salvador (April 27, 2017). "Obama's ISIS Adviser May Challenge MacArthur". Observer. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Bowman, Bridget (June 19, 2017). "Former Security Official Launches Bid Against MacArthur". Roll Call. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- Barack Obama [@BarackObama] (August 1, 2018). "Today I'm proud to endorse such a wide and impressive array of Democratic candidates – leaders as diverse, patriotic, and big-hearted as the America they're running to represent:" (Tweet). Retrieved August 1, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Hefler, Jan (October 15, 2018). "At Burlington County diner, Joe Biden rallies support for Democratic House candidate Andy Kim". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Phil Murphy. ".@AndyKimNJ grew up in #NJ03 and served our country on President Obama's nat'l security team -- of course he's one of us. Now he's making the GOP in Washington very nervous. Trump-like rhetoric has no place in NJ". Twitter.
- Piper Perabo. "#NewJersey Garden State! Let's win this for the home team! #NJ03 I'm looking at you! @AndyKimNJ for Congress!!!!". Twitter.
- McBain, Sophie (October 30, 2018). "Blue Wave: Meet Andy Kim, the 36-year-old former Obama aide running to protect healthcare in New Jersey". New Statesman. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Congressman Andy Kim official U.S. House website
- Andy Kim for Congress official campaign site
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at the Library of Congress
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New Jersey's 3rd congressional district
|U.S. order of precedence (ceremonial)|
| United States Representatives by seniority