Andy at a Washington, D.C. concert, January 2009
|Birth name||Andranik Madadian|
|Also known as||اندی|
|Born||April 22, 1958|
|Genres||Pop, dance-pop, rock, soft rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, actor|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass guitar|
|Labels||Pars Video, Caltex, Taraneh Records, Avang Music, Cherokee Music Group|
|Associated acts||Aghasi، Hossein Tohi|
Andranik Madadian (Persian: آندرانیک مددیان; Armenian: Անդրանիկ Մադադյան), better known by his stage name, Andy (Persian: اندی, Armenian: Անդի; born 1958), is an Iranian-Armenian singer-songwriter and actor. He is a naturalized American and currently[timeframe?] lives in Los Angeles.
Duo in Andy and Kouros
Andy first gained recognition when he joined Kouros Shahmiri and they formed the successful duo Andy & Kouros, going on to release 4 albums together: Khastegary (1985), Parvaz (1987), the hugely successful album Balla (1990), and finally Goodbye (1991). The two split in 1992, with both Andy and Kouros going on to have successful individual solo careers. The two reunited several times after that point. In 2002 and 2004 they performed together for a sold-out audience in San Jose, California. In 2009, Andy & Kouros they went on an international tour together in the Iranian diaspora, and performed together again in May 2010. They also appeared together on a music video by Farez remaking their hit "Niloufar".
Andy has released 16 albums as a solo artist. His last three singles have ranked No. 1 in the charts. In 2013, Andy was nominated for Best Male Artist, Best Live Act, and Best Entertainer of the Year at the World Music Awards. The following year, he was presented with the "Millennium" award at the Big Apple Music Awards in NYC.
On June 24, 2009, Andy, Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi recorded a version of the Leiber and Stoller standard Stand by Me, described by producer Don Was as a "worldwide solidarity with the people of Iran". The Persian introduction is done by both Andy and Jon Bon Jovi, as well as the rest of the song which continues in English. The record was produced by Don Was and John Shanks and was registered at Henson Studio C, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. He participated in a prestigious recording session for World Peace One, which featured some of the world's most successful artists uniting to promote peace. In 2014, Cherokee Music Productions released the humanitarian single, We Hear Your Voice which brought together 15 international stars from 11 countries to inspire fans and followers to find common ground and heal the divide between nations.
In January 2020, Andy released an English song titled "The Good Fight," which is to be featured in the motion picture “American Fighter “ coming out summer of 2020.
Andy married his longtime girlfriend and artist Shani Rigsbee on November 11, 2011. Around 1992, the couple began working and touring together and soon after they discovered Shani had ovarian cancer. She had an early hysterectomy in 1992. The couple is associated with cancer-related charities and has performed together for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.
Awards and honors
On January 17, 2020, Madadian was awarded the 2684th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, becoming the first Iranian to receive the honor. His star is located at Highland Avenue at 6810 Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles.
Andy & Kouros
|1985||Khastegary||Three of Us
Don't Go Away
|1977||Future Features||* Eshghe A Issar
* Walking in the Rain
|First solo album|
* Dokhtar Irooni
* Ghasre Kaghazi
|1993||Laili||* Yeh Roozi Tange Ghoroobe Asemoon||Collaboration – featuring Bijan Mortazavi and Hassan Shamaizadeh|
* Cheshmaye Naaz
* Naaze Naaz
* Dokhtare Bandar
|1998||Silk Road||* Az Khod Gozashteh
* Orere Seero
* Melli Poosha
|1999||Ghahremanane Vatan||* Ghahremanane Vatan||Collaboration / Single – featuring Leila Forouhar and Dariush|
|1999||Nune||* Chera Ashegh Shodam||Single|
|2000||And My Heart...||* Yalla
|Solo album – including 7 songs in Persian, 1 in English, 1 in Spanish, 1 in Armenian, 1 in Arabic, and 1 in Hindi|
|2000||And My Heart...||* Yalla
* Hotel California
|Solo album – American Edition – including 7 songs in Persian, 3 in English, 2 in Spanish, 2 in Armenian, 1 in Arabic, and 1 in Hindi, a Persian version of the Eagles' "Hotel California" is added.|
|2001||Yaran||Collaboration – featuring Pyruz, Paksima, and Hamid Nadiri|
|2002||Khalvate Man||* Che Khoshgel Shodi
* Negahe Aval
|Solo album – including 4 remixes of the 2000-hit "Rayhan"|
|2003||Orere Seero||* Orere Seero
* Garoun Garouneh
|Solo album – Andy's first all-Armenian album|
* Salame Asheghouneh
* Ghesseye Baran
|Solo album — "Salame Asheghoone" and "Sahraei" written by Leila Kasra are featured in the motion picture House of Sand and Fog.|
|2006||City of Angels||* Mohem Nabood
* Gole Bandar
* Daram Miram Beh Tehran
|Solo album – 11 original songs and 5 remixes on 2 CDs, a cover of the song "Marde Tanha" originally sung by Farhad as well as a remix by Nami are found on the first and second CD, respectively. An edited version of the song "Tanine Solh" written by Leila Kasra and sung by Andy, Kouros, Fataneh, Moein, and Morteza is done. "Daram Miram Beh Tehran" is featured as the soundtrack of the animated film Babak and Friends – A First Norooz.|
|Solo album – 13 original songs and 3 remixes|
- The Journey
- Orere Seero
- City of Angels
- Andy Live at the Kodak Theatre
|2003||House of Sand and Fog||Wedding Singer|
|2005||The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam||Ali Ben-Sabbah|
|2010||Lost Journey: Lost Journey||Mr.Zand|
|2013||Shirin in Love||Andy|
- "Weekend Forecast". Los Angeles Times. 2007.
- "BBC فارسی – ايران – بون جووی و اندی در حمایت از تظاهرکنندگان ایرانی خواندند (Bon Jovi & Andy Supporting Iranian Demonstrators)". bbc.co.uk/. BBC. June 28, 2009. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- We Hear Your Voice. July 31, 2012 – via YouTube.
- "La Toya Jackson To Drop Farsi Duet With Iranian Singer Andy Madadian". idolator.com/. idolator.com. October 6, 2015. Retrieved February 6, 2020.
- "YouTube". Youtube.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "La Toya Jackson on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "Khaled & Andy - Salama So Good". Facebook. April 17, 2019. Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- "The new music video out today". Twitter. January 16, 2020. Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- "Andy and Shani Wedding Pictures and Video". Armenian Pulse. Armenian Pulse Radio & Entertainment. 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Report: Andy & Shani's Wedding (Photos)". Nabz.com. November 14, 2011. Archived from the original on July 16, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "Andy Madadian - interview with Lia Martirosyan and Chet Cooper". abilitymagazine.com. June 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2020.
Around 1992, we started working together, began touring everywhere in the world and then, suddenly, she was sick. We found out that she had ovarian cancer; she had a hysterectomy at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and since then she’s been doing unbelievably great.
- "ANDY – Music + Charity = Millions of Fans". ABILITY Magazine (Andy Madadian Issue). June–July 2013.
- Minazad, Orly (January 20, 2020). "Op-Ed: A Walk of Fame star may seem silly, but it means a lot to us Iranians". LATimes.com. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Levin, Sam (January 16, 2020). "'An American dream': singer Andy Madadian becomes first Iranian on Hollywood's Walk of Fame". TheGuardian.com. The Guardian. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- "Iranian-Armenian music star Andy Madadian gets star on Hollywood Walk of Fame". ABC7 Los Angeles. January 19, 2020. Retrieved January 22, 2020.
- ""Andranik Madadian And Nematollah Aghasi in Concert Ameneh song matching"".
- Tehran Magazine. Choose the Best: Andy, Mansour, or Shahram Kashani Issue 476. Page 72-76